Food Option Advice.... - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

I feed Royal Canin LB weight control for two of my boys and LB Hip and joint support for the other. I also supplement with different meats and veggies. I know RC has a hypoallergenic venison or duck formula but all three of these are veterinarian diets so they have to be purchased from a vet.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

This whole what to feed thing is a nightmare - made all the more difficult by the number of different brand available, plus everybody having their own ideas about what works and what doesn't.

I would say that with hounds, a plain diet usually suits them best. I started, years ago, using breast of lamb or /and offal, raw, with 'terrier meal' which was small biscuits brought from the local store. After we moved to Canada, and our numbers increased, all this chopping up lamb (which wasn't readily available out there in any case, and expensive if it was) I checked with other Basset people and started feeding a complete diet. Which I've stuck with, not necessarily always the same brand, ever since. And with numbers, buying something that had it all in the bag, was far more economical in any case. My hounds have needed minimal vet treatment over the years, and the norm for their life-span was at least 13 years. So I can't have been doing it all wrong.

Right now, with my one remaining Basset, he's on a fish and potato complete diet (here in the UK - Arden Grange Complete) which suits his tummy after he had Giardia early on when we first bought him. That's left him with a digestive weakness for which the fish diet works best and has kept him out of the vet's office (for that!!) I feed my Whippet a Rice and Chicken died, made by the same people.

All I would recommend is once you have found something that suits your particular Basset, you stick with it. All this chopping and changing will cause him problems.

ps My Basset had been reared on Royal Canin which I'd not touch apart from the fact that the cost pays for all the advertising they do.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

The rescue group where we got Molly uses Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice for all their bassets. They said that they haven't had any problems with it. Some of the other brands they tried didn't work out well for some bassets, and it was difficult for them to have some dogs on special foods. With this one, they have been able to feed the same food to everybody. We have continued to feed that to Molly.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement