Nail problem? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nail problem?

Humphrey has been doing pretty well.

Today I noticed that some (three or four in total) of his nails are very rough looking up the sides around the tip and it isn't on both sides but one. They look like someone went at them with a nail file. Could this be from the concrete outside (as in him scrapping them on it accidentally because he does lie down on it) or some sort of fungus? Has it happened to anyone else with weird nail problems?

(Just noticed it now too, don't know if it happened over night or continuously)

(Also, I hope all the fellow Bassets are getting ready for the holidays! )
HumphreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wish I could help you but not sure what to make of it. I would think if it was the concrete it would just file them down. But that would be the ends not the sides.

Sometimes I have seen roughness on mines sides but never did pay that much attention to it.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Today I noticed that some (three or four in total) of his nails are very rough looking up the sides around the tip and it isn't on both sides but one. They look like someone went at them with a nail file. Could this be from the concrete outside (as in him scrapping them on it accidentally because he does lie down on it) or some sort of fungus? Has it happened to anyone else with weird nail problems?

(Just noticed it now too, don't know if it happened over night or continuously)

Does the area at the top of the nail look inflamed or red, if not would think he has rubbed them at he walks, know all dogs are supposed to have perfect gait but not many do.
Tend to check & trim ours every week (Sunday is nail day LOL), one in particular walks across his joint scuffing his middle nails badly down to a point & sadly at times to the nerve. Like to keep a check on them, as well at keeping them short.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

My dogs spend half of the day outside where there is concrete, I will take a look at their nails when I get home and see what they look like and get back to you.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Does the area at the top of the nail look inflamed or red, if not would think he has rubbed them at he walks
Nope, the rest of the nail looks fine and we managed to cut them all yesterday as some were fairly long. Some of his nails do rub together because of where they are, their position and how long they get. The rough looking one was on his 'pinky' toe on the outside of the nail (rather than the side which is opposite the other nails).

I just went and looked at it right now. It doesn't have that really rough look to it anymore. I think perhaps he might have been lying down and when he scrambled up (in excitement or whatever) it got all scraped? Only explanation I can think of right now.

Bit of a worry-wart when it comes to the furball.

On another note, does anyone give their furbabies supplements for the nails? Is it a wise idea to do that?
HumphreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try to keep them clipped
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Andwise

the same problem arrived with my doggy too and the solution of it is to keep their nails trimmed from time to time that would be a good solution to me........
Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bella sometimes gets this, and I've noticed it's generally after she's been chewing her nails.

I think she's a chronic nail biter, just like me. I gave up trying to do them myself, I find lots of path walks and a trip to the vets is far less stressfull than getting someone to pin her down with a coat over her head whilst I wrestle with the paws that don't want to be touched at all. She turns into a demon dog.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

We take Maddie to PetSmart for nail grinding. She behaves for them.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I checked my hounds nails and they have a few scuffs on them from the concrete. I am lucky that they spend enough time running around on concrete that they get filed naturally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement