How big a problem is growling? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How big a problem is growling?

I've read through lots of old threads here, and am seeing different things. I'd love to get your advice here.

We've had my pup 2 weeks (she's 18 weeks now) and she's much loved by everyone. Especially my 7 year old. But when my 7 year old hugs her, she growls. The obvious answer is to teach my daughter not to hug her, and I am.

But, I'm wondering if I need to do anything else. Is growling simply the dog's way of saying "you're too close" and I need my daughter to respect that and back off? Or do I need to address it with the dog, too? It isn't a play growl - she'll do that a little bit when she and the kids are running or something, and I'm teaching them not too play carefully, because she can be a little mouthy when she's feeling fiesty - which is like 10 minutes a day right after dinner.

Would love some thoughts if you have them. I hate to ignore a bigger problem.

Thanks.
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definitely teach the child not to do that, if for no other reason than for safety.

Growling as a warning is normal enough, as is not wanting to be hugged, which can be considered threatening for many dogs.

OTOH, to live in today's society where people don't understand dog behavior and parents seem to think nothing of letting their child run up to a strange dog and hug it (I've lost count of the number of times this has happened to my dogs), and especially since Bassets are cute so people love to pet and hug them, I'd strongly suggest working with a good trainer or behaviorist to desensitize her to being hugged and try to teach her that it's a positive thing. She's still pretty young so hopefully you can change her attitude a bit.

I'd also have her checked by the vet to make sure there's not a physical issue that may be causing her pain when hugged.

Is she touch sensitive in other ways? Feet, ears, mouth?

http://shibashake.com/dog/hug-dog-te...-enjoy-hugging

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/dont-hug-your-dog-day

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/handling-gentling
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 12-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to srwafu

Strangely last night Frida jumped up onto the sofa and pushed her head hard into my chest and pretty much climbed on top of me and wanted to snuggle, but then when I put my hand on her back to stroke her she had a little growl and jumped down again :/
srwafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

The growling is a sign that she's not entirely sure what's going on. She's a bit insecure around children. You are quite right to stop your daughter from hugging her. She was slightly older when you got her so it is possible that something in her past has caused this reaction. Mine, who weren't around children very much at all, would be a bit that way, especially the bitches. I'm not sure about correcting her when she does this - that depends on the circumstances, but with your daughter, and any visitors, I'd make sure you are right there to control the situation, or move her out of the way. Better to be safe than sorry really, even if Bassets should be bomb-proof. Sad fact is many are not.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

for primates and othe bi peds hug is a sign of affection however for quadraped which do not aand cannot hug reach aorund the neck etc is a threatening gesture. over time dogs can learn to tolerate it some even to enjoy it but it is a dangerious practice especially with an unfamilure dog

hugging your dog

Quote:
The point that McConnell discusses very well and clearly in her new book is that to a dog, a hug (arm OVER its back or neck, leaning on it, confining it, etc.) most closely resembles several gestures of dominance. So we might expect that a dog that is not used to being hugged, or a dog who gets a hug from a stranger (or from a child who may take it a bit too far) might interpret the gesture as one of dominance or aggression and react accordingly.
Dogs Use Non-Aggressive Fighting to Resolve Conflicts

Growling is the equivent of human shouting which mean depending on the context it can be appropriate and not appropriate given the context. If it is inappropriate rather than punsih the dog which can lead to more probloems than it solve it is better to teach the dog a more apporpriate behavior such as leaving the area etc.

He Just Wants To Say "Hi!"
Aggression or appropriate response to rudeness? Far too many dogs suffer because handlers & trainers don't know the difference between the two.

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dogs do not understand 'hugs', it is a human desire & something they get used to. Don't have children & like Soundtrack have lost count of the times I've had to intercept children from running up & hanging off their necks, also when you are around children all of the time you forget the difference in pitch of their voice & the fast movement of their actions. Dogs these days are expected to have innate manners & tolerances towards all, which is generally lacking in the humans they meet! In most cases I don't correct dogs for growling ,it is their way of showing unease & I respect it & remove or change the circumstance before they are pushed into anything else. If a dog is constantly told 'No' when it grumbles you can loose a warning sign that it is unhappy & how else is it to tell/warn you. How does she respond if you stroke her under her chin, it is far less dominant than going for the head or back?
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, all.
She lets everyone snuggle and cuddle her except my 7 year old. She'll let her sit and stroke her, but if an arm snakes around her she growls. She was raised with kids as a baby pup (older kids - 14 year old boys, but I believe a 2nd grade neighbor came over to play with her).
I'm not if I can desensitize her to hugs, because she'll let me hug her all I want. She never growls at me, or anybody, but Greta. The only thing I can think of is that once Greta took a step backwards and didn't see the dog and tripped over her. The pup got scared and ran into my lap and quivered. She wasn't hurt, just scared.
My concern is that she'll snap at her.
Right now, I've made a rule that she can only use one hand at a time with the dog and it can never be underneath her. Ginger does fine with that and lets Greta get very close to her, but it's just so tempting to hug.
The other night, Greta thought the dog got stuck under the dresser and when she went to help her out, she growled again. She'd let me pull her out buy her tail and not growl - it's just really with Greta.
I don't think she's touch sensitive in any other way, and certainly not with any other person. I can touch her anywhere, anyway. She really seems to be mostly "my dog" and the kids baffle her a little. Well, the 12 year old looks pretty much like an adult, so she's fine with her. But even if Ginger wants to run and play, she'll only run if I do too. I think she's still just a little nervous around the kids.
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[ The only thing I can think of is that once Greta took a step backwards and didn't see the dog and tripped over her. The pup got scared and ran into my lap and quivered. She wasn't hurt, just scared.

I think she's still just a little nervous around the kids.[/QUOTE]

My husband fell over our pup in the garden, pup unhurt, but ran away shaking, wouldn't go up to him for some days! He left it for the pup to come to him rather than pushing it & the pup soon got over it, just advise your daughter to read the signs (always a good idea to get anyone new to pups/dogs something that informs them about dogs body language) & take it slowly. Good luck & best wishes.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

it all about Great re-earning the dogs trust. One way to speed the process is to make her part of the feeding . Teach greta how to put the bowls down for the dog etc.

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-18-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wonder if it would be helpful for Greta to clicker train the pup to do some tricks? Non-contact ones at first. Not only would she be feeding the pup special treats, but they'd be opening a line of communication.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement