Help I need to give Ramsay away :( - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm so sorry. You're in my thoughts.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You say he has attacked before, has it always been about or around food. Did he show/give any signs before, it's unusual for a dog to attack without warning. Has he always been guarded about his food, how long ago did it start, how do you feed him? Sorry to ask these questions & I'm no behaviourist, but do find it strange that it has suddenly escalated to an attack that sadly requires your fiance to go to ER. What do you mean by 'no one can mess with his food'?
Realise I am very fortunate that I haven't had a dog that bites/attacks people, but if I did would be wanting to attempt to work with the dog to deal with the problem, from the first time it happened, have you had him checked over by a vet ? Again I am sorry but to read that it is being suggested to euthanize a young dog, what happened to him at doggy daycare?
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

we had a similar issue with a labrador once.
we were able to not have hm euthanized...
this is only because we found someone with a farm who HAD NO CHILDREN who wanted a "yard dog" to spook away animals at night. This was the ONLY viable option (in our specific case of course) we could find without having him euthanized.
can't risk anyone else getting hurt.
Unfortunately some dogs just arent wired right i'm afraid.
Don't hear about it much with hounds but it does happen
I'm terribly sorry you're face with such a difficult decision
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Am I the only one who finds this post disturbing, along with some of the responses?

A dog bites. It apparently wasn't the first time though there is no detailed picture of what had happened, little information, no description of what was actually going or the circumstance that had led up to the attack. Dogs are often food protective/dominant, owners also very loud, teasing, harsh or 'hands on' in their response, exacerbating the problem. Yet without knowing the all the details, how can you judge that a dog should be euthanized? No one wants a dog that bites but how do you know how from such a post what caused it to respond in such away?

'No one can mess with his food', why should anyone want to mess with his food, 'he got traumatised at doggy day care', what happened?

You invite a dog into your home (for life), don't you reckon on bills whether, insurance, vets, chiropractor, surgery, but hey thee strikes & you're out!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

You should contact your local Basset rescue and see if they have a behaviourist. I would hope/expect they will offer support in a reduced fee/payment scheme. I wouldn't give up on him. A lot of people here have had aggression problems and worked through it.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

took a long time to respond to this post, but I am with you Vectisvagrant. This is just my humble opinion, but if a dog bites because he is guarding his food, feed him one side alone and leave him in peace. I had a boxer like that. Lovely dog otherwise. We just learned to respect him and his feeding time and he kept living a long and happy life. Shakespeare, I also think that you have a good idea, I sure with a little effort something solution can be found. Bet just take the easy way out? Sorry it just doesn't cut it.
Bgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for the advice. I haven't explain everything in detail and maybe I wasn't all clear and confusing with some of the statements I made. Ramsay is a young and active basset. We had him since he was 3 months. He originally got him basic training at Petsmart. Within the last few months anytime he will get a hold of food (from counter or getting into the trash) he will not follow the drop it order and when trying to get it away from him in fear he was going to her sick he will react. Like attack mode he ripped my finances shorts twice. This was a big warning for us and did our best to avoid something like this to happen. Keeping regular food out of reach from him. Ramsay means the world to me but at this point there is so much I can do. I also didn't mention that Been so active he needs a bigger place we live in a second floor condo and me and my fiancÚ don't have a steady work schedule is always changing. we do our best to take him to the dog park and he gets along great with other dogs. We has also use doggie daycare but we started to see that he wasn't happy going there anymore he will get nervous and pee right before going in to the place. Also they let us know that he put his teeth in someone because he was eating his poop and they were trying to stop him. Well Ramsay almost never eats his poop only when he is ashamed that he did that in a place he is not supposed to. The incident that happen there with the food was because there was someone new working there and I guess when they feed them they do it in their own separate area but the new person open 2 gates and the same time so Ramsay runs to another dogs gate and started eating the other dogs food so the new person goes to take it away from him. And Ramsay responded to that so they decided not to feed him there anymore. When my fiancÚ told me this incident I couldn't believe it I was upset of what happen bit felt they are to blame to. Not only that but he also told me that when they wanted to show him how Ramsay was acting after what happen. They had a stick to show how he will act when they take his bowl away from him. I was pissed be side Offcourse he will react to that. We stop taking him there after that he was fine he eats his food fine. When I say you need to leave him alone i meant if he decides to eat poop then leave him alone if he decides to dig in the trash and eat something to leave him alone I couldn't correct that behavior from him. What happen with my fiancÚ was an accident he wasn't teasing him or anything like that. He wanted to take a treat to get him in his cage. Ramsay was already chewing on something most likely thought he was trying to get that away from him which it wasn't the case. My fiancÚ that want to be around him and I don't blame him I had tried To talk to him to keep him but no luck. I do believe Ramsay deserves a chance I have been looking around and talking to people. I was able to talk to a rescue and they are taking him they will be working with him and then get him a new home. Again this is not an easy decision but I am happy he will have a big back yard to run around. I thank you for the kind words but don't appreciate the judgment some gave me about this I hope this answers allot or questions thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Rozzie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm glad you found a rescue to take him; I think that gives Ramsay the best chance for a new and happier life.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

So glad you found a rescue to take him. It sounds like Ramsay has good potential and he needs a some expert care. I know this is hard. ((hugs))
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Fantastic outcome, great news. A happy future to you & your fiance, a hard decision but hope Ramsay finds someone with the experience & time to guide him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement