How do you tell your basset no? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you tell your basset no?

I was reading in the housebreaking thread that it's counterproductive to yell or clap with a pup. My puppy has figured out she can jump on the sofa, then jump to the counter and steal food. I don't leave food out there, but my kids eat there with stools. So, currently, I'm telling her "off" and removing her... times 1000... she doesn't seem to care. I've had sneaky, mischievous dogs before that would try to do something behind my back, but Ginger seems to just blatantly disregard this whole "off" situation right in front of me.
Any thoughts on how you'd handle it?
Clearly what I'm doing isn't sufficiently motivating her.

Thank you!
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sorry lost the battle of the sofa many years ago, as far as their concerned its a human free zone & I get the floor.
When your not using it, try putting a broom or ironing board on it, can you not move it so pup can not jump on to counter, really wouldn't want a pup up there. All food here is kept out of their reach & not left anywhere they might get to it. Sorry not much help.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would make the counter 'punish' her. Make it unrewarding for her to get on the counter, in other words. We babysat a basset hound for a week, and she was a notorious counter surfer. I had baby gates to block access to the kitchen, and I put duct tape [folded so it was 2 sided tape] along the edge of the counter we couldn't block off. She didn't like the tape, and when she tried it, found nothing on the counter she could reach, so she stopped the behavior.

I didn't need to tell her no; the tape did that for me. My own Basset hound Maddie has never tried to countersurf or get food from the dining table. I can leave a plate of food unattended with no worries she will snatch it off the table if I step away, or even leave the room. I feel very fortunate, as apparently this is unusual behavior for a Basset.

This type of training works for cats too. I found that if one just tells the animal no, or makes a noise, etc., as the method of discouragment, the animal then will simply perform the unwanted behavior when the person isn't there. The target needs to be the deterrent, not the person.

Keep in mind I'm not an expert! This is just something that has worked for me.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

You are going to get a sea of opinions on this. Some will tell you it's what you say/do, others - HOW you say/do it - or maybe even both.
We just say "ah-AH" with both of our dogs. When our beagle was a baby we used to say it and nip her on the neck with our fingers. Now we don't even have to nip her anymore - just saying it is enough to know she has entered "no-no" territory. Our Basset, Butters, we didn't ever even have to NIP - we just said "Ah-ah" once and he stopped, so I'm not sure if his mom's owners used that on them while they were with her or what.
HoundMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do use the word "NO" and I will clap my hands if I need to get their attention ,you don't want to hit them or be constantly yelling at them so they become afraid of you ,I also have been known to use a spray bottle of water depending on what I don't want them doing. I have had this breed over 20 years and what may work for one may not work for another.When I'm training puppies to recognize "NO" it is followed by a mild lift of the skin on the back of the neck or rump it gets their attention until they understand "NO" means something-I don't want you doing that. I can use the auh-auh soon after that. These dogs are smarter than some give them credit for and they can learn quickly but you have to be persistant and consistant.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

best if I can catch sophie just as she is "considering" the misbehavior with an "uh uh" or "no" .

If she persists, I just have to out stubborn her. That is if she won't come in when called, I go get her vs calling again and again.

If she won't stop counter surfing, I lift her off. My theory is she will eventually see/learn I mean what I say....one way or the other she will do as told. keeps me calm and she does get the "message"

Pretty successful with this...they are hard to out stubborn though! sometimes I will lift her off the counter edge 3 or 4 times in a row before she stops.

Last edited by 3kbasset; 12-12-2012 at 10:52 PM.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have this problem. Not so much in the kitchen, when there is food around he has learned to sit and wait then he will get something. We let him on the sofa but he waits for us to pick him up. But the problem we have is he likes to chew on wires and sometimes it's difficult to keep out of reach, he went through my phone charger the other day. We shout "no" and "stop it" some times a little tap on the nose but he thinks its all a game. Same with him pulling on our clothes or guests shoes etc.
he knows he's not suppose to do these things and he gets a kick out of our reaction by barking.

I've learned that distracting him and getting all his toys out will distract him for a while, that's the only advise I have really. Naughty puppies lol xx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am super inconsistent, but Olive doesn't seem to mind. I think she just goes off the tone I use, because I could say, "Don't you even think about it", "Excuuuuuuse me!", "No, ma'am!", "ah-Aah..." or "Nooooo..." and she backs off with a look on her face like I just ruined her day. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

The Slave...err, Mama of
Olive Oyl/Olive Ball/Olive Noodle/Punkin/Diddle/Whinyface

Olive a Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred
OliveOyl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Sorry lost the battle of the sofa many years ago, as far as their concerned its a human free zone & I get the floor.
Oh how I relate to this....... many's a time when we'd have been sitting on the floor, with the sofa (and love-seat and chair when we had them) taken over by 'them'. Well it's quite normal - isn't it

As for the counter climbing, although mine, with their long necks, could reach to the back of the counter they certainly couldn't get up there without a chair or table being alongside (and even then ?) My best advice for that would be to make sure there's never anything up there to go up for - and when the kids are eating, put her somewhere else, say no! and mean it!!

How much you shout, or physically correct depends on the hound. With my boys, I could demolish most of 'em with just a look. With the girls it was somewhat different but rather than shout or clap hands etc., I'd have to remove them. Give them something of their own to occupy them with. Much of living with a Basset comes down to applied psychology. Making them thing what you want was their idea all along. This is not a breed to back into a corner - if you get stubborn, you are not approaching the situation correctly. Come to an 'agreement' (with what YOU want ) and living with a Basset should be sorted.

Add - "say, Don't you even think about it", EXCELLENT ADVICE and much used round our place!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Add - "say, Don't you even think about it", EXCELLENT ADVICE and much used round our place![/QUOTE]

That phrase is used so much in our household I'm surprised Bella doesn't answer to it.

I think it is all to do with tone of voice though, nice and happy for good things and lots of praise when they're being good, and a low voice when they're doing something bad.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement