How do you tell your basset no? - Page 4 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #31 (permalink)

i trained sally with the "fetch" and "leave " command,started with her favorite toy,sally loves to play fetch,i developed the game by adding the "leave" command even when most excited about fetch she now leaves the toy at a distance until she hears the fetch command.
i can now apply leave command to anything i do not approve of for sally
she will often still put this to the test though and i have to shout leave a whole lot,she is very smart and no amount of praise for good behavior will do at times she just does as she pleases.
sally jones's biggest fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

That's really interesting. So far, Ginger thinks fetch is a ridiculous game and if we throw things, she just looks at us like we're nuts. But it I like the idea of finding something like that that works for her. She's getting a lot better about "off". So if I *see* her going for the counter and I say off, she backs down. However, if I don't see her, she seems to think it's fair game. There's no sense of "oh that's off limits"...
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

If you can't move the couch, can you put something on it that she can't maneuver around to get to the counter, like a big empty box or plastic tote?
1 whole love bug
MaggieMaysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #34 (permalink)

to clarify what I posted...sophie will still counter surf, or do whatever even after being told not to but when she surfs for example, I tell her no once and lift her down.

When she jumps up again I just lift her down no words. When she starts the jump up again I try to catch her before her paws leave the ground with an "uh uh". Then I just redirect her out of the room. If/when she returns to the room I get up and stand in front of her. I am calm the entire time.

I have not had as much luck as others with the food. For Sophie, it seems to reinforce the behavior, but I can see where it can be effective.

Obviously some bassets more stubborn/obsessed than others. 20 times for counter surfing is more than sophie does but she does have her "insistent moments" with other things.

As you have found, the great thing about this forum is you get to hear all experiences!!!
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement