Bladder Infection Help - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Bladder Infection Help

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice and help.
The situation is my 1year 4month old basset female, has had two bladder infections in the last month, the first one seemed to go away for a few weeks with antibiotics then came back again. We took her back to the vet who sent her urine away since two in such a short time period in such a young dog is uncommon, it came back and said she has bacteria from her feces that somehow is getting into her female parts. So I now have to use baby wipes after she goes to the washroom, and she is on new medication. This type of bacteria is immune to all medications except two.
Well my poor basset also has bad allergies to lots of things, so this morning I noticed (three days into her new medication) she is allergic to it, she has red swollen bumps all around her mouth, I gave her an allergy pill, as this has helped in the past.
However my concern is if she is allergic to the medication to help what can she do to clear up her bladder infection, and what else can I do to help prevent future ones?
Has anyone else has this issue? I just want my poor Mazzy to be comfortable. She is at least a happy dog, always wagging her tail, but when her allergies get to her, she gets itchy and grumpy.
Thanks for reading my long post, but any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you!!!
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

1. talk to the vet there are different types antibiotics and it is unlikely see is allergic to all

2. While one often assumes that recurring bladder infection are just that reinfections however actually this occurs surprisingly infrequently. More often than not the first infection was never cleared up or if it was cleared up the reinfection is because the infection cause struvite bladder stone that form in a more alkaline urine cause by the infection. The bacteria get trapped in the stone, Infection clears. Urine becomes more acidic and start dissolving the stone, Voilą, reinfection.
So be sure she does not have bladder stones as well.

Struvite Stones Canine
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!
The vet is going to take her off her meds for a few days to clear up the allergy and then try her on the other option for this type of bacteria, if this one does not work or she is allergic to it also she said she will do more research for different types of medication and options to help her.
I will check with the thought of a stone and get her checked for that as well.
Thanks
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have to say stones also came to my mind. How about colloidal silver, it's a natural antibiotic. Have you ever heard of it. I make it myself and have used it on my dogs for years and take it myself.

I don't think it will cause a reaction.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement