What kind of treats? - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Gandy loves Cheerios. He catches them in his mouth. About the only trick he knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeamz View Post
I slow bake sliced liver, and cut it into very small pieces, which are easy to break even smaller, I find even a tiny piece they are happy with as it seems very high value to them. I keep some in the fridge and freeze the rest.
This is what I used when I was showing. You should have seen them around the stove when this was cooking

I now use, for treats (I'm not showing these days), dried fish pieces which I buy from fish4dogs (in the UK). I like to think this doesn't add to the calorie/weight intake.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

OOh we love Fish4dogs Tiddlers too - all their fish skin treats. You can break them up into even smaller bits for training heres a link
Dog Treats Variety, Quality Dog Food - Fish4Dogs

(Burns make something similar)

I used to get their kibble until recently but they changed the ingredients without telling any of their customers - replace one of the fish ingredients to pea flour

I could tell by the girls' poo

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

We just used kibble when we potty trained Gus. He sees anything he can eat as a treat if u are handing it to him. I would measure out his "treats" in the morning and decrease his meals. If there was anything left at the end of the day he gets a bedtime snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Gus218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

I also use the liver but I use to do it in the oven now I just put it on the stove is much quicker. I also did this with heart the other day, they all loved it as well.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Both are fed raw but being lazy I use Burns kibble for treats (actually, bribery), but having said that seem to find it everywhere even in my dressing gown pocket. They love dried liver, fish skins & would sell their souls for cheese. Attempt once in a while to go healthy with carrot, but it only works a couple of times & although they'll willingly take it they then look at me as if I'm trying to poison them & the spit it at me!
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I use a combo of dog biscuits, broken into tiny pieces and freeze dried liver broken into tiny pieces.
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Both are fed raw but being lazy I use Burns kibble for treats (actually, bribery), but having said that seem to find it everywhere even in my dressing gown pocket. They love dried liver, fish skins & would sell their souls for cheese. Attempt once in a while to go healthy with carrot, but it only works a couple of times & although they'll willingly take it they then look at me as if I'm trying to poison them & the spit it at me!
Hey I feed 2 of my dogs raw as well, because of allergies. I can't feed my basset any carbs so that's why I use liver and heart for treats. The other 2 are fed kibble and home cooked. I have the crockpot going as I type.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
Hey I feed 2 of my dogs raw as well, because of allergies. I can't feed my basset any carbs so that's why I use liver and heart for treats. The other 2 are fed kibble and home cooked. I have the crockpot going as I type.
Changed to raw feeding sometime ago & my only regret is that should have done it years ago, just couldn't get my head round it. The dogs love it, having suffered from colitis badly they both can now eat a varied diet without problems. teeth are great, energy levels are up & wouldn't feed kibble ever again. All I need to do is to stop using it as a treat!
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Changed to raw feeding sometime ago & my only regret is that should have done it years ago, just couldn't get my head round it. The dogs love it, having suffered from colitis badly they both can now eat a varied diet without problems. teeth are great, energy levels are up & wouldn't feed kibble ever again. All I need to do is to stop using it as a treat!
Wrapping my head around it was not my problem. I think because I grew up on a ranch and the dogs always eat on the dead lambs and calves and such. So I think it was easier for me. My problem was how to do it right.

Years and years ago when I first happened on it I did the BARF style but was told by the gal that sells Berts bees ( can't remember her name at the moment) that because of Turtles ears I had to get her off of all carbs. So that, I had to find some support for so I could do it right. Thank goodness I found a sight to help me. In February Turtle will have been on raw for 2 years.

Had a big blurp in September as she got a whole loaf of bread off the counter and ate it. I'm not kidding it has taken me all this time to get her cleared up again. Thank goodness she didn't get the bacteria in her ears again just lots and lots of dark brown gunk. I think I have it now, I think, fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement