911 House breaking emergency... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 911 House breaking emergency...

I have a 6 month old Bassett that is completely impossible to house break. He can be outside for an hour and when he comes in he will immediately wet the floor. He will go on the kitchen floor, carpeted floors or hard wood, makes no difference. Any suggestions for me?
Clydes Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

obviously rule out any medical problem, but when we were house breaking our puppy, we took her out on a leash only to go to the bathroom. i.e. not to play.

we started by taking her out literally every 10 to 15 minutes, if she didn't go, we took her right back in the house. when she did go, much praise , consistent words, and right back in the house.

we could then increase the time but we were going outside every hour for a while before she got. a lot of work, must be consistent but very well worth it. she does great now.

good luck . you will get there
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Being that Bassets are very food motivated, try giving a piece of a treat when he goes pee and a piece when he goes poop. Also, like 3kbasset said, give a lot of praise too. Hoss is going on 5 months and he goes to the door and whines when he needs to go potty. He still has a piddle accident every once in a while, but it's usually our fault that we don't get him out quick enough. Also, try to get him on a schedule. Take him out after he has played for a little while, playing makes them have to pee more. Also as soon as he wakes up from sleeping, and about an hour after feeding.

I know all hounds are different and some take longer than others to get it, hope this helps though, if you aren't already doing these things. Keep us updated.
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

One more thing, if you catch him going inside, clap your hands really loud, or yell NO! Something to startle him a little and get his attention. Then take him outside immediately.
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would also suggest a "treat" after a successful trip outside. I do it with mine. Yes, it become a life long pattern, as soon as they have been "good" outside, they run right to the cookie jar in the kitchen. As for the praise thing, I don't simply say "good girl", I go over the top and if the neighbors are watching, they must think I am insane.... Turn it into a real party and love fest!

I also combine the piddle pad training since Ellie can't last all day. Not as much "celebration" but definitely positive reinforcement. She is doing very well with it. However, sometimes the front end is ON the pad and the business end, not so much. No reprimands (nor Party) for that, she "thought" she was doing the right thing.

As too piddle pads, the ones they sell for pets seem to be too small and not very absorbent. I buy the bed pad for incontinent adults. They are much larger and a hell of a lot cheaper. Especially if you by them at places like Cosco, or those other big warehouse stores.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )

Last edited by Jnfr; 12-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Since you KNOW he's going to pee shortly after coming in, be ready for it, stop him, and take him back outside. You should be going out with him so you can reward him for peeing outside, and when in the house he should either be crated or under direct supervision (eyeballs on the dog at all times). Every time he gets to practice peeing in the house it makes the habit stronger.

Woulldnt hurt to have him checked for a UTI or other medical issue.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

We tried the treat method, it seemed to be working very well. Then he developed a bladder infection and after treatment, treats didn't seem to work anymore. He is crated and under constant supervision when he is out. Once he starts to go, nothing stops him. If you yell NO! he just continues to go. I have practically had to drag him outside, he was peeing all the way. The vet suggested putting him in his crate and ingnoring him after an incident, because Bassetts are attention hounds, he just goes to sleep, couldn't possibly care less. Maybe a professional trainer is the answer?
Clydes Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I’ll first assume you’ve taken him to the vet to rule out any medical condition that could cause any of the problems you’re having. If you haven’t – before anything I would call your vet as set an apt for them to check blood and urine for any infections he could have.

You’re also going to go back to the basics on house training 101 with this little guy. It’ll be easier for me to give you an example of what I do – then to tell you “what” to do – then you can take from it what you’d like.

When I first bring a puppy – in my house – they are never off a tether – and always connected to me until they are trained.

Even though I have a fenced in yard – I always take them outside on leash – to the same spot – I’ll stand and tell them to go “potty” – as their butt comes up I’m giving them a treat telling them what a good girl they are. If they don’t go or act like they need to go – we go back in – I make note of the time I took them out – for the first week or so until I get an idea of how their plumbing works.

If they didn’t go – I’ll watch them like a hawk and take them again in 15 minutes – and repeat above.

If I cannot watch them say, I have to take a shower – sleep – cook – or whatever that I can’t keep one eye on them even though they’re attached to me – I put them in a crate. As soon as they come out of the crate – I tell them lets go potty outside – and repeat above.

Also, I never let my new dogs go outside just to play until they understand or know they are to go potty outside. I’ll take them in the front yard to play and back yard to do their business.

When they are puppies or young – even when they go for a walk – when they come home – I take them to the backyard on the leash to go potty outside.

When you have them tethered to you – you can watch their body language to see when they’re starting to smell – walk in circles or do whatever signs you’re guy gives, then scoop them up and say let’s go potty outside.

IF – you happen to catch him in the act – don’t yell to scare him – scoop him up and place him on the grass while you tell him we go potty outside. If you yell – you’ll scare him and he’ll just go look for a hiding place.

One other thought with you having a boy – all my hounds are girls – but I do have a shi-poo that’s a boy. He was completely housetrained until last year when one of my Basset’s got sick and eventually died. Around the same time of her getting sick – there was a lot of stresses in our house and he started marking – and he still will if giving the chance. I’ve had him to the vet a number of times – and my luck – he’s just one that once he starts he always will. So… he’s crated at night or when I leave. And if I can’t watch him he’s in the kitchen with my two younger bassets that still haven’t earned the run of the house because of chewing. In other words – he’s never out of sight – it’s the only way I can keep him from marking as he wouldn’t do it in front of me and for some reason he doesn’t mark the kitchen – thank goodness.

Just bringing that up as marking could be some of your problem – but not sure – this is one reason I prefer to have girls – one less thing for me to worry about. I only have him because I answered my phone one night to hear – you have to help out and take this dog… or I’d not have a boy.

This is one of the type of training leashes I use – I can tie it around me and it long enough they can play at the other end of the room.

Top Paw® Cotton Web Training Leashes - Leashes - Collars, Harnesses & Leashes - PetSmart

keep in mind age doesn’t matter – if you’re having problems the only option is to start at the beginning again. I have two sisters/litter mates. One I’ve had since she was around three months old – the other I just when out to get in September. I stayed with her for a full week before I brought her home – I know she was house trained because I was the one taking her out – she’d run to the grass, do her business – then look at me – and dash for the door – she knew she only came out to do what was needed.

Fast forward to me brining her home. For the first few days – she was great – went out with my other hounds and Rickie – did her business – came right back in. Then one day she stared to have accidents all over. So… Even though she was a 1 ½ years old – we started housetraining 101 – she’s doing really good – but… I don’t fully trust her yet.

Hope some of that helps & the best of luck to you.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
The vet suggested putting him in his crate and ingnoring him after an incident,
punishment rarely works with a basset hound you will be much father ahead rewardign the behavior you want and preventing the behavior you do not in the first place. What you did not mention is he going when he is outside. and in not why is he allowed back in?

potty training trip
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydes Mommy View Post
We tried the treat method, it seemed to be working very well. Then he developed a bladder infection and after treatment, treats didn't seem to work anymore. He is crated and under constant supervision when he is out. Once he starts to go, nothing stops him. If you yell NO! he just continues to go. I have practically had to drag him outside, he was peeing all the way.
Has the vet tested to make sure the bladder infection is really gone? I have found that sometimes these infections do not get cleared up fully on the first try, and may need a longer course of antibiotics and/or a different antibiotic. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement