Healthy Weight? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Healthy Weight?

I have two basset brothers. They are built completely different. One doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. He is solid muscle and never stops moving unless he is sleeping. The other is lazier and looks like he is getting a little chubby. They are 13 months old now and both weight exactly 65 pounds each. They both get daily exercise in the fenced yard, and we take them both on nice walks/runs everyday. I guess I'm worried about the lazier one. Is 65 pounds too much at 13 months old? They are growing like crazy. When do they stop growing? I also wanted to know about feeding. They usually only eat once a day even though we keep dry dog food out for them. They have been eating puppy chow. They do like eggs and chicken too and they love green beans and peas. Sometimes I just want to give them chicken and vegetables and do away with the dry dog food altogether. Ideas on the weight? Ideas on food?
mabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Our Maddie weighs 50 pounds, give or take a few ounces. She'll be 6 in April. She's been at this weight all her adult life, but she's thickened up a bit, so I may have her lose a few pounds. It's like her weight has redistributed a bit with age. Doesn't that happen with us all? lol.

On Maddie, I can't see her ribs, but I can feel them easily. She doesn't look as trim as she used to, but her chest has deepened a lot with full maturity, and she now has her Mama's matronly butt, lol.

We feed her Iams dry food, she eats about 2 cups every other day. [free choice feeding, where food is there all the time - I find the bowl empty every second day] She gets a variety of treats, Pedigree brand, 3 or 4 a day, and she 'helps' us eat meals, getting a few bites of what we're eating. She is not food aggressive, and not strongly food driven; she's never tried to get food off the table or counters, nor gotten in the trash, etc., but she will do damn near anything for cheese. We can't even say the word 'cheese' we say 'cha' LOL!

Our veterinarian has always been happy with Maddie's weight, and we agree. I don't think Maddie is fat. We're determined not to let her get that way, after seeing a young adult Basset at the veterinary who was so fat he could hardly totter around. My eyes filled with tears when he looked up at me with his sweet, sweet face. Mr. San and I vowed we would not let that happen to our Basset, who was only a puppy at the time.

I wouldn't go by the numbers to determine the ideal weight for my Basset, but by how they look, if you can feel their ribs easily, etc.

You can see Maddie here:

-San.

Last edited by -SAN.; 12-10-2012 at 06:04 PM.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

weight is a complete useless measure of whether a do is over or under weight,

see corpulent Canines
Quote:

5) People don’t know how to determine whether their dogs are overweight.
This is a very common problem. Dogs vary in height, bone structure and muscularity, so there is no single “correct
weight” for a dog of any given breed. The quickest way to determine whether a dog is overweight is to feel the
thickness of the fat over the last few ribs. In this
area, the ribs lie right under the skin. If there is any
subcutaneous fat, you can feel it between the skin
and the ribs. Take your thumb and index finger and
pinch deeply into the skinand tissue below. Then
pull the tent of skin outward. You will immediately
feel the layer of fat slip out from under your fingers
(
Figure 1). In a canine athlete, that layer of fat
should be as thin as tissue paper. As you help your
dog lose weight, feel that fat layer to monitor weight
loss. It’s more convenient and just as accurate as
using a scale.
Some of you may be reading this and thinking, “I would never want my dog to be that skinny!” Think about the
Olympic athletes. Think about runners in the Olympics 100 meter race. If you want your dog to be an athlete then
it is only fair that you do what you can to help him achieve the body that he will need to perform and stay healthy

and injury-free for many years.

Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think it all depends on the dog. My 4 year old eclair is 55lbs and we thing 3 year old Ethel is 37lbs. My vet is very happy with both weights and he's a stickler about people over feeding. They both eat exactly the same quantities. His rule of thumb is being able to feel ribs and not carrying fat on chestbone!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have two 9 month old bassets and on November 1st one weighed 45 lbs and the other 41 lbs.. I think mine may be overweight :/

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Lemontart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
His rule of thumb is being able to feel ribs
in order not to feel the ribs a dog must be beyond obese. You should feel only a minimium of fat on the rib add the test above is a more accurate and easily done test for the uniniated.

and more on 'feeling the Rib" IF Using the feel guide for the rib let youtr hand be your guide in this way. that your left hand make a fist With your right hand rub the dog ribs without using any presure. now compare to your left hand in this way.

1. Rub you Finger over the back of your hand If you can barly feel the ribs and are similar to the feel of each bone in the back of your hand when you make a fist the dog is over weight. Now move to the knuckle area with pronouced depresion between each bone and virtual tissue except a thin layer of skin over the top if this is how the ribs on the dog feel then it is too skinny/thin. Next move down to the finge while still keeping a fist run your hand over the finger between the knuckles and first joint on the hands, A definite depression between each bone with a modest amount of flesh covering them.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mikey your a star!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the assistance. Maddy is a beautiful dog!!! Loved watching her running.
mabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes loved the video of Maddie. Turtle just loved her heg hog but so did Richter and he tore it up so I got another and he tore that one up as well.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Me too- love that vid of Maddie. Too bad she doesn't live around here - i think all the girls would have a blast.
Weight can really vary with sibs. One of Izzy's sisters weighs 15 lbs more neither are overweight.
Advertisement