Stairs? - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndmomma View Post
We have stairs and our bedroom is on the 2nd floor. While mine do use them to come up to bed Ė I donít encourage them as a pup to use them. While they are still young I would carry them more than not Ė and we keep them blocked off and them blocked in the kitchen so they canít get to them if Iím not around.

Iím not over protective of them jumping off the furniture in the family room Ė but then itís lower to the ground. ButÖ I donít let any of mine to sleep in bed anymore. I use to sleep on the edge of the bed when Flash & Lucy both would sleep with me. However, the day Flash broke her back jumping off my bed Ė was the last day any of my bassets were allowed to sleep with me in bed. I have a wall of three crates next to my bed they sleep in every night. Once and a while when Iím up in bed watching TV Ė Iíll pick up Page or Mabel and bring them in bed with me to cuddle Ė and Iíll pick them up and take them out of bed Ė Iíll never again let one jump off. Itís a nightmare I never want to relive if I can help it.

We have a blazer we take them in Ė and again, no jumping Ė I pick them all up to put them in and take them out.

Jen~
I used to have little stairs by our beds for Molly. She used them to get up into the beds but always jumped off. I could not get her to go down the stairs. After her neck injury this summer (we never figured out how it happened), I just took the stairs away so she wouldn't be able to get into our beds anymore. I just didn't want her jumping off and getting hurt. I do still let her on the couch and chairs, which are low enough for her to get on by herself.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

I wouldn't let your puppy go up or down any stairs until they're full grown. Especially after their shots... My dog is now paralyzed because she received her shots in her back leg (make are your vet does it in the back of their neck) and she didn't use her leg for a day... And then the next day she must have jumped strange and now were sizing her for a wheelchair it's hard but so worth it to just pick them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Caela. That is awful news, poor thing xxx

Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caela View Post
I wouldn't let your puppy go up or down any stairs until they're full grown. Especially after their shots... My dog is now paralyzed because she received her shots in her back leg (make are your vet does it in the back of their neck) and she didn't use her leg for a day... And then the next day she must have jumped strange and now were sizing her for a wheelchair it's hard but so worth it to just pick them up.
Gosh that's just dire - I know the rabies jab goes into the muscle at the back, but ........ Don't give up on her getting up again tho. I had one who, when 8 years, developed spondylitis. Yes, there was pain, lots of it and my vet at the time was very much in favour of pts. I wasn't! Once we got the pain under control (PLT tablets - amazing) he was fine even if we had to be lifting him with a big towel under his tummy to get him out to do his biz. That hurt us more than him (80lb boy) As time went on and no sign of improvement although he did have feeling in his back feet, I came to the conclusion that we couldn't keep him like this (and we did try him in a K-9 Cart which he hated) and phoned the vet to make that appointment. He was in the room. Heard me. Sat up in his bed, licked himself all over, and GOT UP. I seriously believe he realised that he'd milked his situation as much as he could and it was time to stop. He never walked properly, as he had before, and his back was roached from that moment on, but he lived until he was 14 years, needing PLT tablets on occasion, before old age claimed him, My vet was amazed - but I knew my hound and that he wasn't ready to be put down at the time.

So again, don't give up - your girl may yet walk again
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Caela;153001]I wouldn't let your puppy go up or down any stairs until they're full grown. Especially after their shots... My dog is now paralyzed because she received her shots in her back leg (make are your vet does it in the back of their neck) and she didn't use her leg for a day... And then the next day she must have jumped strange and now were sizing her for a wheelchair it's hard but so worth it to just pick them up.

Caela I am so so sorry for you & your pup, I really don't know what to say. Know I come over as cautious but when people come on this forum asking about stairs, jumping, & over exercise in pups despair at the response from owners 'who haven't had problems'. It may not happen to them or to someone else, but if there is even the smallest chance why allow it!
Again so sorry & sending cyber hugs to you both, best wishes.

Last edited by Vectisvagrant; 12-31-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

Thank you! We are making it through with small steps Darla is happy as a clam even through her struggles so it's hard for us to be negative through it. I have a degree in special education and everyday our puppy reminds me more and more of the children in teach... Which may sound weird but I'm happy that I have the patience and background Knowledge. I would just advise you to be safe rather than sorry. We have 2 flights of stairs to our home and now well be doing alot more carrying up an down than we planned on...so I'm trying to advise everyone we come across to not let their dogs tackle any stairs or furniture. You'll love you new basset. Ours is the sweetest girl ever. Stairs?-imageuploadedbypg-free1357030626.673406.jpg

Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Oh Caela, I am so sorry. Maybe she was meant to become an inspiration to the children that you teach.

I have never had a vet give a shot in the back leg. I know we could not give baby lambs a shot in the back leg it would do the very same thing and then they would drag it.

Last edited by Herzo; 01-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement