Some advice on ears please. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some advice on ears please.

Ok, bit of background and a quick question!

On Bella's first vet visit I bought some ear cleaner from the vets. I use this once a week and wipe out the insides of her ears with unscented baby wipes after. Her ears seem (to me) to be clean, with no obvious smell.

However... Just the last couple of days she's been really pushing her head into my hand when i rub her ears and making a whiney sound She then scratches her ears like crazy and shakes her head. Should I be worried? Does it need a vet visit do you think?

I don't want her to be uncomfortable...wish she could talk (human language anyway)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did she have a bath lately where there may be water in her ears (you know the feeling from a shower... that bubble thing)

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep shower 3 days ago.........!!!!

Never even thought of that (face slap)

Is there anything I can do if that's it, or will it just go on it's own?

& thankyou!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

it sounds like they are itchy so medication may be needed smell them again if there is an infection usually there is odor ,if no odor possibly water in the ear even though that is not my first thought.You can use a q-tip dip it into alcohol let it drip into each of her ears. this will help the water to evaperate DO NOT do this if there is an infection or sore ear it will burn .if the ears are not infected she will only dislike the odor of the alcohol.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lke Buubad said it does sound like an ear problem. I'm not a big fan of vet ear stuff - they are very harsh. Once a month I flush the girls ears with saline water and white vinegar and always before a walk so the ears get some air.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bubbad - Just had another sniff... bella currently giving me 'the look' as she was sleeping! No smell at all... well no unusual smell anyway. I'll give it another day and if nothing changes I'll pop her down to the vet I think. Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Shakespeare - I'll give that a try once I know her ears are ok. What split water/vinegar do you use? Thanks to you too
- Unknown
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you think the "all natural" ear cleaner they sell at Petco, etc, is alright? If not, do you feel like the water/vinegar keeps them clean enough? Do you use cotton rounds to clean with this? Thanks!
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

i use equal parts warm water, vinegar and alchohol when cleanin ears takes care of yeasty ears pretty good too
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

personally, as a human, I put a bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and use that, plus hitting the ear with a blow dryer... don't know how well it will work with a hound.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

I do joeys every Sunday. I just use a little warm water on a cotton bud and a good thorough wipe. With doggy ear wipes. I've also got a bottle of spray from vets but I only use that once a month. Eeeek it's Sunday today which means grooming evening. He gets his claws trimmed also when he is half asleep then he doesn't mind too much!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement