Some advice on ears please. - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella's Mum View Post
Yep shower 3 days ago.........!!!!

Never even thought of that (face slap)

Is there anything I can do if that's it, or will it just go on it's own?

& thankyou!
Yep - shower could well have done this. I think, under the circumstances and as adding moisture (other than the correct ear cleaner) to the ear makes for a nice breeding ground for bacteria, a vet trip is probably worth doing. It may dry out eventually (don't be tempted to go deep into the ear with anything - sorry but NOT q.tips!!) but this needs to be cleared up before a chronic infection sets in.

Edlit - re the use of cotton buds/q.tips. It might just about be okay to use these near the opening of the ear, but please, please don't be tempted to push a q.tip right down into the ear of a Basset. This is very dangerous, and could potentially cause serious injury - if it's tickly down there, the hound can so easily move when you least expect it. By all means wipe round the immediate inner ear, gently, but using anything pointy down there (where perhaps the problem is if water has got in there) - NO. Please

Last edited by FranksMum; 12-09-2012 at 09:16 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

He gets his claws trimmed also when he is half asleep then he doesn't mind too much!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App[/QUOTE]

Good for you! never had a basset that would let me trim their nails. Even Emily, the only one we got as a very meek puppy really really said no.

And yet, they're all fine when we get them done by a groomer or at the pet store, but not when it's at the vet's.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Frank's mum, don't worry about me! The vet told me that I could clean their ears as deep as i could reach with a wipe. Even that makes me a bit queasy, as I worry about wiping out some of little brains the girls actually have
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

and since I need one more post to reach 400, here it is
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ears are an on going problem with our two, call them the Beverly Hillbillies. Used various cleaners from the vets over the years but both found them harsh & it made their ears sting & whenever they saw the bottle would run away & hide. Have to wipe out their ears every other day, use cooled boiled water, sometimes with one very small drop of hibiscrub, for deeper cleaning use olive oil dropped into the ear with a pipette & massage well. It's a little sticky but they both enjoy it and it removes deeper wax & to keep the ears free of problems regularly use thornit powder, fantastic stuff.
Interestingly like someone else, Sunday is Dog Day, a good walk, back to a mug of coffee sitting on the kitchen floor, both get a good brush, a quick wash with a cloth, ears are cleaned & nails are trimmed. Then we all have biscuits!
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Our vet said to wipe Molly's ears weekly with a dry cotton ball. She said not to introduce any moisture into the ear because it's so hard for it to dry out.

The vet also said not to worry about going too deep, because dog's ear canals are L-shaped and you won't actually hit anything going straight down.

One other piece of advice, which sounded good until I actually tried it, was to stuff cotton balls in the ears before a bath or shower, to keep water out. Molly just shook her head and they went flying across the room. We haven't bothered with them since, and just make sure not to get her head wet at all in the bath.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement