I almost named her... - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

We've long had a family rule that everyone has to agree. When Donut came to us, she had a fancy show name. Too fussy for us. We tried "Disco", then Slinky (too hard to call for her), I really wanted Olive, Harriet or Louise. By the time the rest of the family got to Maple Bacon Donut, I was worn down and agreed to Donut, just so we could stop confusing the dog.

As is usually the case, I now can't imagine her having any other name. It's totally ridiculous, but completely suits her, and everyone's first reaction to hearing her name is to chuckle.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

When I adopted Eclair I though about calling her Ethel cus I always thought Ethel was a perfect Basset name, but Eclair suited her so much cus sh just looks like a chocolate eclair. A year later when I met "Sally-Sue" as she was called in the shelter, but she looked like an Ethel and so we changed it.

Last week I got a. Do you remember in Facebook. It was for an english kids TV show from the 70's. There was a cow on it called Ermintrude-now that's a perfect Basset name, me! My next rescue will be called Ermintrude or Ermie for short!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ninja was almost a Buttercup, since Princess Bride is one of our favorite movies. Ninja suited her much better though.

Scully was named Miracle by her breeder, but that was just totally not something we would have named her, so she became Scully. Took us a while to decide on the perfect name for her though, so I think we actually had the breeder register her as Big Foot before we settled on her name.

Larsen has always been Larsen to us, since he came with his name and we love it.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

I would love to have a Hubert or 'low fat.' I wouid also love a mostly all red named Ginger.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

I was almost Harper (after Harper Lee--To Kill a Mockingbird)
But i'm esther instead. (from a pretty obscure song)

CB was Charlie in his foster home.
We got him around christmastime and we watched charlie brown xmas so it just extended on into charlie brown.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton'sdad View Post
I would love to have a Hubert or 'low fat.' I wouid also love a mostly all red named Ginger.
lol, my pal's name is Low Fat
i wonder if i should look him up and play with him this year. he lives near the Grand-Paws. we haven't played since we were pups.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #27 (permalink)

I can't imagine you with a different name either, Princess Peanut Buttercup! where would the Reese's Pieces be if your name was Agent 99 (tho it is kewl too!)

Mrs. Fury-- kewl names!!

i wuz almost Bourbon or Dalton, along with 15 other names lol

--Worm
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #28 (permalink)

When we first got Lucy – she was so fat from having to spend 23 hours a day in a small crate – she looked like a seal and I always thought I would name my next hound Andre – like the seal in the move. But… I didn’t name either Mabel or Page – After everything we went through with Flash I wanted Dr. Allan to be part of our new beginning so I asked her to name her – and Page was already named when I got her. I guess I could have changed it – but I figured she had so much to learn already to fit in our crazy pack – I thought why add more stress by changing her name.

One day maybe I’ll have an Andre who knows.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Hey! I have a name twin! ^^^^^ (sort of)

Anyway - There were several options for Butters and we think of more all the time - even though his name is staying "Butters". We had thought Delano (Del) or Doc Holliday - and I REALLY loved the idea of naming him "McFly", but we settled on Butters (after the South Park character) because he whines all the time.
HoundMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundMama View Post
...but we settled on Butters (after the South Park character) because he whines all the time.
The only reason I didn't push for the name Butters for Cooper was because I will name our first child after Leopold 'Butters' Stotch despite what my OH says...
CooperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement