Skin question.. Please help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Skin question.. Please help!

Hi everyone!
I hope this is not a completely stupid question but Harvey has been having some skin problems around the mouth and I was wondering if someone would have good tips on how to deal with it.
I guess it's quite common with bassets (since I've seen it on others too) but about a week ago I noticed that Harvey had all the smaller folds of skin around the mouth kind of reddish and in the deepest creases there was some reddish stuff building up. I tried to ask a vet but there was just a replacing vet (instead of our normal lovely one) and he said to clean it with some wipes he knew we'd gotten before and didn't seem that interested
So I was wondering if someone knew how to deal with this since the cleaning doesn't seem to make it go away.. I think I read somewhere you can use talk or something but I thought I'd ask before starting to powder poor Harv!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes they can get a bit yeasty in the folds - especially where it's more moist like around the mouth.
Keeping it clean should help. I have a particularly yeasty girl and I have tried all kinds of wipes but nothin has worked better than wiping her down with a solution of half water and half white vinegar.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am no help, but wish you luck!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

shakespeare’s right – I’ve noticed that a couple times on one of my girls – just need to keep an eye on it and keep the area clean and dry. I used baby wipes to clean it – then I had a medicated spray & wipes I would put on until the area was back to normal. Now I just keep my eye on the area so I can catch it when it starts and nip it in the bud.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default ACV .. the best remedy

I have always used apple cider vinegar (ACV) for so many basset ailments I've lost count. I clean their ears, mouth folds, any hot spots. Hot spots in the summer like under their arms were bothersome and I used to take my guy to the vets. Not now, I clean the area with ACV and it clears up fast. I also put a splash in their food as it is very good for their skin and digestion. I feed my guys the RAW diet and since the switch 2 yrs ago..no more yeast in the ears, hound smell is gone, coat is super shiny and shedding is almost non-existent.

Good Luck
deweysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi everyone!
Sorry for my late response (end of the semester kept me busy) but I've been treating Harveys mouth with ACV now and it's been working wonders! Thank you so much for the help!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

if it is redish bumps actual it is more likely bacteria. What can work is acne medication/shampoo containing benzoilperoxide. The other solution we had to go with for Mariah is surgery to remove the skin folds this is fairly commom in cocker spaniels

"Amber" - Cocker Spaniel with Lip Fold Pyoderma

the surgery worked well for Mariah.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement