Barking in the Park - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Bella barks when she wants to play, people have said how does that noise come out of such a cutie??! Brilliant for keeping away burglars, she sounds like a huge dog..... until they found out she'd lick them to death & that's it!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyB View Post
some dog owners seem to be afraid of a barking dog.. .

yup its funny i got a good story from my neighbor who is a dog groomer about emma's barkin.

one day my neighbor had a giant poodle client call her tellin her there was a dog outside that was gonna kill her and her dog. she looked out the window and it was little emma who had gotten out and went over to her house. lol
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

Sometimes at the park, I get a little embarrassed that my human kiddo is the loudest one there. I said something to my husband about it, and he just laughed at me and said, "He's playing outside at the park! This is the best place for him to be loud. Don't worry about it."

I think the same applies to dogs.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So many people don't seem to tolerate the noise of dogs or children playing any more.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

I guess they don't expect your dog to poop either.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

wow. this is funny. joey has just started going on his walks but he dont bark outside but inside wooooohooo he can bloody bark and moan...
He starts when i am busy with something and im ignoring him, when im on the phone which is the worst because whoever i am on phone to is non stop laughing as joey is howling in the background. also if his toy is stuck under the sofa, he barks non stop until i retrieve it for him. Hes the boss of this house!!! xx
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa and joey View Post
wow. this is funny. joey has just started going on his walks but he dont bark outside but inside wooooohooo he can bloody bark and moan...
He starts when i am busy with something and im ignoring him, when im on the phone which is the worst because whoever i am on phone to is non stop laughing as joey is howling in the background. also if his toy is stuck under the sofa, he barks non stop until i retrieve it for him. Hes the boss of this house!!! xx
we do this.

you've been trained well
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
So many people don't seem to tolerate the noise of dogs or children playing any more.
So true!
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

I would find it odd if I were at a dog park and didn't hear dogs barking or baying. Same with kids playing outside.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #30 (permalink)

Hi Bernie,

Well, surprise surprise Worm has the same problem! actually he started out pretty quiet as a puppy. sometime between age 1 and 2, he learned to really use his pipes, esp at the park!

of the 20-30 dogs that play there, yeah Worm's got a reputation as does his basset bud Mr. Bo. there is also our friend's golden retriever who barks and drives everyone crazy.

in this subculture, maybe because people are also trying to talk to each other and can't hear because of all the barking, everyone shushes everyone else's dogs. usually the dogs are allowed to go on awhile. but at some point it becomes a bit obnoxious, so it's 'quiet Worm!' or 'quiet Bo!' they usually want something or want attention, so giving them attention sometimes helps to stop it. anyway, again we all do it to each other, and Worm, Bo, and the retriever in particular get shushed. it's not a big deal and nobody takes it personally really, as far as i can tell.

i will start to tell Worm 'no bark' and put my hands around his muzzle and he knows what that means. or i say, 'good playing, but can you do that without barking?' lol, he knows what i mean!

we initially had to start doing this because in puppy classes the instructor didn't like him barking so much in class and at puppy playgroups. in fact, at some point, she had us use the muzzle as a training tool, or have him sit for time-outs in the puppy playgroups when he barked too much. she did want us to train it out of him. lol, we haven't worked that hard on it since, so he still does it quite a bit.

in Agility class, this instructor REALLY does not tolerate barking in class. lol, for Worm, it means more treats in his mouth-- that keeps him from barking, if you give them frequently enough. so he does not bark with me in Agility class. apparently he did when his Auntie took him and they got in trouble. and actually the instructor is really on a poodle for yip/barking throughout class, and is really getting on it's owner to work on getting some control of that. it is pretty distracting in Agility class, that is true.

anyway, so some thoughts on the matter...

Last edited by Wworm; 12-07-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Wworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement