Barking in the Park - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Buttercup

Yep PB barks at the dog park & I know what you mean where you feel like the parents with the bad kid at camp. I'm sure no one would believe she just whines at home after hearing her lengthy "conversations" at the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Princess Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well, Maddie has a brother named 'Barkley' so you can imagine what he's good at. I've seen a lot of Bassets bark constantly when they're playing at the dog park, or are trying to get another dog to run so they can chase. Nothing cracks me up more than to see a 'herd' of Bassets barking and some baying, as they chase a confused dog all over the park, lol.

It doesn't bother me when there's a dog there that barks like that because they want to play.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Norman loves to play. games of chase equal barking. try to get a toy or some one to chase equals barking. westling means growling. this last behavior is the one that upsets other owners the most. I explain about bassets and barking and Norman's play fighting and growling. If they don't understand or except it they usually leave.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

certainly no one would be bothered by it at a dog park...
now if it barks all night long while it's outside and at 4am, i could understand...
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

I can't wait to take Emma to the park and see how she behaves. She is generally a very friendly puppy and whines ALOT. How old does she have to be before I can take her to dog parks? She is almost 10 weeks and had 2 sets of shots already.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bernie

Well at least I know i'm not alone in this! I'll try to do a better job at calming down the other owners =D. What about when you see that the other dog clearly doesn't want to play and is actually scared so he runs away. If Bernie sees a dog running he automatically think its "come play", and not "leave me alone!" Should I step in then?
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
What about when you see that the other dog clearly doesn't want to play and is actually scared so he runs away. If Bernie sees a dog running he automatically think its "come play", and not "leave me alone!" Should I step in then?
call your dog over to you and redirect their attention. i usually either take emma for a walk around the park or throw a tennis ball for her to chase down.

but its usually emma who is timmid and doesnt wanna play with the other dogs. i do the same as above i call her over to me and redirect her attention. she seems to have a thing with bigger dogs but dogs about her height and smaller are the ones she enjoys being around and playing with.

and in responce to the other puppy named emma id say make sure she has had all of her vaccinations first. im not sure what spreads between dogs but ya dont want them catchin anything at the park that is preventable. ive been seeing lots of puppies at the park because of the season and i always hope they are current on everything.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't allow my hounds to bother other dogs that don't want to play, just as I do not allow other dogs to interfere with my dogs if mine don't want to interact.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bernie

Thanks Mr. E! That sounds like a good idea. I'll take him for a walk around the park to help him calm down.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hi! We're new here too and first of all I wanna thank everybody for all the good threads here! You have helped me a lot with my pup!

And we have the same problem with Harvey! It's almost when ever he sees other dogs and gets really excited and wants to play.. He just starts jumping and barking (or after we started teaching him to sit and calm down he sometimes just sits, hops a little and barks). To me it seems as well like part of the play but in the city you get a lot of people shooting you dirty looks and some dog owners seem to be afraid of a barking dog..

I've just tried to be patient with him and tell him to stop every time he starts barking like that and I can say I've seen some progress happening slowly but surely. So maybe it's just a question of teaching him how to handle those situations without barking..?

But I also think that dog parks are for dogs to play so noise sensitive owners should just accept it!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement