Overbites/underbites in bassets - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overbites/underbites in bassets

Hiya! I knew Emma has an overbite when we got her. It doesn't bother us since we aren't breeding or wanting a show dog. But our other dog Oscar, too has an overbite (his pretty severe and causing bad breath) so I am wondering how common is over/underbites in dogs?
It's just funny that both our dogs have overbites and we got them at different time, different places and completely different breeds. I strongly believe that it's meant to be! Oscar and Emma are destined to be ours. LolOverbites/underbites in bassets-imageuploadedbypg-free1354586799.284203.jpgOverbites/underbites in bassets-imageuploadedbypg-free1354586811.734638.jpgOverbites/underbites in bassets-imageuploadedbypg-free1354586827.060331.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Along with Edee the basset I have Domino a short haired Jack Russell who TOTALLY has a overbite on his lower jaw. He has the same look of a bulldog mouth, with his bottom front row of teeth constantly showing. He was my boyfriend's and he got him when he was a pup. He is so ugly, he's cute! and now he is my little guy. I am trying to upload a pic, but cant seem to get it right.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

My first Basset has an underbite but she is still perfect for me.She is gone to Rainbow Bridge🙏

Misslongears769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Over bite is when the top jaw is extended over the bottom jaw and an under bite is when the bottom jaw extends out and under the top jaw. The correct bite is a level or a scissors bite when the top teeth are slightly over the bottom teeth,no jaw misalignment. There is an extream over bite called a parrot bite. When puppies are growing their jaws may move in and out,while the skull will reach a stopping point of growth the lower jaw may still move out of position.Common,not suppose to be, if breeders are not breeding dogs with these faults.Everynow and then one will crop up in a litter properly bred,it happens. A misalinged jaw will not cause bad breath, something else is going on or food is getting caught and causing a problem.

Last edited by bubbad; 12-04-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: wasn't done
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

My shipoo has one - I think it's cute since he's just a pet - and it dosn't seem to bother him - never had one on any of my hounds.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bubbad, can you tell me what do you think of oscar's bite based on the pictures? Is it just regular overbite or parrot bite? His vet said that's the reason for his bad breath and asked me to brush his teeth more regularly. He doesn't eat food scraps and we feed him blue buffalo. We love him to bits and we always joke that if he's a human, he will be Jim Carrey in dumb and dumber. Lol.Overbites/underbites in bassets-imageuploadedbypg-free1354684784.271320.jpgOverbites/underbites in bassets-imageuploadedbypg-free1354684797.448182.jpgOverbites/underbites in bassets-imageuploadedbypg-free1354684806.752878.jpg

Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement