Taking a chance... (found basset hound) - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

So great that you took her in. PLease do checks before you hand her over as some unscrupulous people see adverts for found dogs which has the dog's description, say the dog is theirs and arrive with food treats making a great fuss of the dog giving you the impression that the dog is theirs.

The advice I have been given is to simply put on the advert, " Dog found female, please phone tel No xxxxxxxx with a description of your dog"
sadeyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadeyes2 View Post
So great that you took her in. PLease do checks before you hand her over as some unscrupulous people see adverts for found dogs which has the dog's description, say the dog is theirs and arrive with food treats making a great fuss of the dog giving you the impression that the dog is theirs.

The advice I have been given is to simply put on the advert, " Dog found female, please phone tel No xxxxxxxx with a description of your dog"
sad that it comes to this.
we've had similar stuff in memphis but only more unscrupulous...

round here people have been STEALING dogs out of the yard
Then waiting for a reward to be offered and conveniently showing up with said dog to collect the $$.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

My husband won't walk Gandy in our neighbourhood because he's afraid that someone will see him and want to steal him.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am pretty sure if someone stole these two they would pay me to take them back! Only hounds a mother can love

Actually, they are both quite sweet, except Ellie is currently hunting a "stink bug" and it is letting off the most "delightful" odor (gag!) Apparently, they taste really bad but are great fun to play with (ewwww) Time to get the fly swatter!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
I am pretty sure if someone stole these two they would pay me to take them back! Only hounds a mother can love

Actually, they are both quite sweet, except Ellie is currently hunting a "stink bug" and it is letting off the most "delightful" odor (gag!) Apparently, they taste really bad but are great fun to play with (ewwww) Time to get the fly swatter!
They will release that "delightful" odor if you squish them with a fly swatter. We find it's best to scoop them up with paper and give them burial at sea via the toilet. Much less smellier.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

My cats hunt stink bugs and eat them. Then they get up in my face with their stinkbug breath. They also spread the scent around while grooming themselves.

We usually either flush the stinkbugs down the toilet or vacuum them up and empty the canister right away.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
My husband won't walk Gandy in our neighbourhood because he's afraid that someone will see him and want to steal him.
well sadly, that is the story that someone came up and told us about when we first got Worm. that he had a basset hound growing up as a child. it was in the backyard alone, when someone stole it from the yard when the people weren't home then they called the family and said 'we have your dog' pay us this amount and we'll give it back. the father didn't want anything to do with it, so they didn't get their basset hound back sad huh?

Worm is under lock-and-key and in his crate so he won't get stolen lol. actually when i first got him, i would walk him across the street to the shopping center and he would wait outside for me while i picked up a few things. this was our 'exercise' before i discovered the dog parks. but i actually did lock him with a bicycle lock lol, so he was pretty much unstealable. (unless you have cable cutters)

we hypothesize like Jnfr that he could possibly get stolen for looking cute, but as soon as they realize his paws are like 4 suction cups and he won't move or walk when you want him to, they'll forget trying to steal him! auntie thinks at that point he'll be abandoned on the street and our only chance of finding him would be through the pound : (
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
When Cooper was a puppy, a young woman at the dog park said that he was so cute that she wanted to hit me over the head with a baseball bat so she could steal him. She was kidding, of course, but it was such a weird thing to say (or say out loud!) I'm happy to report that my skull is intact.

Bless you for taking that pretty hound in!
Cooper&Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement