Thanksgiving Dog Disasters - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thanksgiving Dog Disasters

Both my sisters called me Thanksgiving Day- first my sister in Florida called to tell me she had to put her 4 year old Rottweiler Grizzly down the night before- he had cancer and took a bad turn, so she took him to the vets before the holiday. Her husband passed away 2 years ago at this time of year- this was his dog, so it brought up a lot of sadness for her.

An hour later my sister in Syracuse called to tell me she had rushed her Bichon to the emergency vets in pain and vomiting. Jolie finally came home Monday: $5000 in vet bills, but she's doing much better although she'll need more monitoring. Her ALT was at 3500 Thanksgiving Day (normal is 10-100) and both her spleen and liver were enlarged. The vet thinks there's a good possiblility that the new bag of kibble my sister opened the day before was contaminated- it's been sent off for testing.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Damn! I really hate to hear that. Condolences to your sister in Florida. I know how painful it is to make that decision, even if it is the best thing in the long run.

I hope the NY pup ends up OK. If it turns out it was the food, please post the brand, etc so no one else has to endure what your sister did.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh Murraysmom, that sounds just terrible. Sorry to hear about the loss of the Rottie at such a young age and geez, yeah i hope they get to the bottom of what caused the Bichon's liver problems! glad to hear she is doing better, but wow what steep vet bills.

i hope the rest of the holidays go better for you and your family.

my person says she keeps getting unexpected vet bills for me around Thanksgivingtime (not anywhere as steep as the Bichon's), not to mention making multiple unplanned vet visits for me, and that's 2 years in a row now! she says that next time i vomit i need to make sure i don't suck any of it back in lol.

but actually, your thread did remind me of last year at this time on this forum. both Worm and another young basset was sick around Thanksgiving, but the other one did not make it it was sad.
Advertisement