HELP! Sleep Aggression at 4 Months Old - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP! Sleep Aggression at 4 Months Old

Hello Everyone! I want to thank you all for the wonderful advice I have found on these boards and utilized in my obtaining and raising of my new babies I found this forum on a search and it has been priceless. I am new to the board and I have a major issue. Whiskey and Bailey are now 17 weeks old and Bailey (my horse) is getting more and more aggresive whenever she is disturbed while sleeping. No signs of any other kind of aggression at all - Typically really clumsy but she is never ever aggressive. Please let me know if anyone has any advice as she is my precious 30+ lb snuggle bunny and I need to get this undercontrol.
DrunknHoundMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well, there's always the old adage "let sleeping dogs lie".

Would need a better description of exactly what happens. How is she being awakened, what exactly does she do, how do you react to it?

Has she been checked by a vet for a possible physical issue?
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks For the Reply!! She IS sooo cute when she sleeps but she has grumbled and growled when she is so much as knudged when she is sleeping since we got her two months ago. Now, she has gotten to the biting point.

She can be sleeping on the floor, the couch, where ever; it doesnt seem to matter.

We are usually very gentle in our awakening of my Bay-Bay-Monster (Bailey). No forceful pulls or nudges.

Medically: nothing wrong with her but we are looking into a diet change to better support her growth and joint development.

No issues when she is awake. I can pick her up, move her, hold her - she doesn't care. I dont have any childeren but my Sister is adopting a newborn and I would rather not have to worry; if it can be helped.

I do have three cats but they dont mess with her unless she starts it

Last edited by DrunknHoundMamma; 11-30-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

she cannot bite which she cannot reach. you need to wake her first with smell. sound etc. once awake then ask her to move. A dog that is not tollerant of being disturbed while sleeping is a poor candidate for being allowed to sleep on the bed with humans. And if you are asking how one makes her tolerant of being jostles while asleep , it simply is not going to happen it is better manged than seeking a behavioral cure.

Last edited by Mikey T; 11-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

THANKS MIKEY!!! I have to say I was tickled to see you responded. I have read alllllot of your advice on this site.

I agree. I am not a fan of being woken up either :-).

They are very restircted as to where they can go until I feel they are ready. They are not allowed in the bedroom or the bed yet. We have recently graduated them to the couch, but after a discussion with my husband I wonder if we did this too early? But Bailey gets angry no matter where she is sleeping.

Do you think it has something to do with them not being allowed to sleep in our room or the living room? When we are not home/sleeping they have a pen/crate area in our florida room (We do have an ac unit if the room needs to be warmed or cooled). Blankets and beds are in there - toys and chews for daytime. Bored puppies are destructive and you cant blame them for that.

I was curious if she is afraid we are waking her to remove her from warm carpet and couch to go into the tiled room?

I will try the smelly treat idea out asap!!!!

I have them at sit, stay and they come (mostly LOL) when called and then immediatley sit and wait for me in the kitchen - all with the power of the chicken jerky. So perhaps this power will work for aggression.

It makes me sad. I very much so want them to get to the point where they can share bed space with us. And they are both getting so much better at potty training to.... that is a war I cannot wait to be over. LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Apologize for the enthusiasm everyone. I cannot believe I own two of these wonderful animals and I am eager to ensure they are taken care of the best way possible. Its also exciting to be able to seek advice from season owners. I have raised guinea pigs, prairie dogs, cats beyond cats, ferrets.....but never dogs. They are a whole new world!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Melody is one that does not like to be disturbed when sleeping - in fact she usually chooses to sleep in a dog bed or crate by herself rather than on the bed with me and the other dogs.

Some are just defensive when being woken, for whatever reason.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jake (13 Y.O) does not like to be startled awake. If you disturb him when he is in a deep sleep he will rear around, snarl & snap. Even as a pup he reacted but as he has gotten to be a grumpy old man, it has gotten worse. Basically, WE have adapted. If he is asleep and we want him moved (ie... give me a little room on the couch!) we call his name before touching to move him. It works for us. Also, he is not one to sleep in the bed with us. When Sophie passed, he took over the "alpha dog" bed (he used to sleep in the big bed) and seems to prefer it.

As for Ellie, she doesn't fuss at all. However, the minute you vacate the "warm spot" she claims it!!!

Out of all my dogs I have had, Jake is the only grumpy one upon waking.... kinda' takes after Me!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lol same with Lula aka The Kraken. When I got her at around 10 weeks old the rescue warned me that she is not one to fuss with when she's asleep. She's still the same at 14 yo. As she's gotten older voice isn't enough - she sleeps so soundly (lucky girl). I get a stinky piece of cheese and wave it around her nose to wake her up for her bedtime toilet. Eventually she comes to snapping at the cheese like a crocodile (still half asleep) - makes us laugh . OH and I take it in turns to who is going to wake the Kraken. She has slept in the bed her whole life we let her in first to get on her spot then work around it. She's never bitten
- I think because we've always managed it and never tried to correct it.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Molly and Winston have always been grumblers when they are disturbed. Winston used to be more aggressive and would lunge (no biting, just lunging) if I went near him. I ignore it and do whatever it is I was there to do and he has stopped acting. He growls, but nothing more. With my husband, who feels the need to show he's the alpha male over Winston, Winston still lunges. With me...well, we've reached a respectful understanding. Again, let sleeping dogs lie.

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement