HELP! Sleep Aggression at 4 Months Old - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

We never had a problem with this until the last couple years when my senior started losing her hearing – she now goes into such a deep sleep that she doesn’t hear us walk up to her and gets startled – I’ve learned to let her know by floor vibrations or by saying her name “really loud” – when this first started to happen – I just walked pass her and she lunged for my leg – it was a close call and as soon as she realized what she was doing she stopped with a shocked look and an I’m sorry mamma look – poor girl.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hello Basset Hound Families!
This is my first time as an active member on this site. I have used all of the tips and advice as resources for the last several years. I used a search keyword to help guide me to what I was looking for and "grumpy" brought me to the 'sleep aggression' posts.
It has been interesting to hear that some are or have experienced this sleep agression - which I have been referring to as grumpy old man syndrome. My almost 5 year young pup Barkley has, over the last 3 months, developed this behavior. It occurs at night, after a day of up, down, in, out, play, nap - the rough stuff ;o) I am concerned, though, that his grumpy is more than the old man thinking. This past March his behavior/mood went downhill and he was diagnosed and treated for lyme disease due to his mood and a sudden lameness/limping in his rear right leg. After the round of Doxy, no improvement. We xrayed and found nothing and then MRI found his cruciate ligament was barely hanging on. He had a TTA surgery on October 10 and was ready to go 2 days later! Needless to say, he has been on a leash and confined to 1 room with no jumping or strenuous activity. Initially we attributed the aggression to his protection of his personal space because of pain he may have been experiencing and hoped the surgery would provide relief and the behavior would stop. But it has picked up again over the last 3 weeks. I have noticed that he is itching his face a lot more and rubbing his head on the ground. He does have evidence of gingivitis and is going for a full dental screening and cleaning on Thursday. Could the discomfort be the cause of the behavior? I can answer that and maybe I am just sharing because I need to.... but perhaps someone else out there can help with other insight. This evening I was on the receiving end. Barkley is sitting next to my husband and I reached down to pat his head and he snapped at me followed by the low growl. I look for every possible reason - his teeth, his knee, his whatever... It is killing me because he has always been the sweetest boy who I could pick up and plop in the bathtub then lay on top of and smother with kisses. Now I am guarding my face and tip toeing past him. I always go to the worst places - historically, dogs who have had special needs have found their way into my home and heart and for a short period of time~ Maggie, my English Mastiff, passed at 2 from degenerative spinal disease leaving her paralyzed~ her litter mate, Jake, passed at 3 from liver failure ~ Spike, English Bulldog, passed at 5 from brain cancer. Needless to say... I worry.

So, Barkley goes in on Thursday for the dental. And I go in with a list of internet research. Does this behavior have anything to do with the blood thing that made him real sick 2 years ago when his packed blood cell levels were out of whack and we almost lost him. Does he have Addison's Disease? Glaucoma? Or is he misbehaving because he can.

In the meantime, his "sister", Millie, gets so stressed by his actions. She retreats to the farthest spot in the room and stares at the wall until I pull her out of it. Although right now she is snuggled next to me and snoring like a little piggy

We have tried the tips suggested - calling his name, waking him with food - He hears his name and then will growl, the growl become louder and more menacing before he lunges and snaps. The food - he takes it, then snaps.

Any information/help/inspiration is all appreciated. Thank you for taking the time... I can be long winded... maybe he just wants me to be quiet

Last edited by barkleymillie; 12-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.
barkleymillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Could the discomfort be the cause of the behavior?
pain is a leading cause of aggression is dogs and other animals as well

So this "aggression on occurs when he is sleeping or lying down, Only in particular spots? When you try to wake him first why are you doing so? because you want to move him? dog quickly are going to associate this with you following action and if the do not want to be moved are going to act proactively to prevent it. SO you really need to ask yourself is it required that you move him at that momment and if not let him be. However if the behavior is consitently a propblem when he is ina particual spot, You may just need to preven him from accessing that spot. If you have a problem when he is on the couch do not allow him on the couch in the first Place. but do provide a more secure and comfortable spot or him like a crate. if the dog has a spot he know he can go be comfortable and never get distrurbed he will look forward to get there. but you have to creat the first, You have to demonstrate to the dog if he is in his crate he willnot be disturbed for any reason.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you~ This behavior is happening in the evening- after 7 pm - when he is settled and laying down, getting ready to sleep or waking from sleep.

Barkley does have his crate available at all times. Presently, due to the surgery, he has been on his bed with his blanket and this is his own space. It's not even that we are trying to move him, it could be just one of us walking by where he is laying down. Even though he does have his crate available - he is not using it. I think I am going to go back to crating at night because this is when the behaviors seem to happen. That way, as you said, he can rest easy that nothing will disturb him or startle him. He will be secure in that. If he is feeling discomfort due to the surgery or arthritis that we were told has developed in the joint, night time could be the time when it is aggravating him the most, thus the behavior. By no means are we instigating the behavior because I don't want him to get upset and I don't want to get upset.

I want him to feel safe, comfortable, protected, and at ease. Thanks again )

Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
Well, there's always the old adage "let sleeping dogs lie".
I totally endorse this! If she's sleeping, leave her. Actually if you have two, it could be that when sub-conscious, she thinks she's being disturbed by the other one. Nothing personal. Bassets are resource protective, be it something, or somewhere. In the pack, they will defend what they see as 'their place' - and actually they need to, in a pack situation.

I'd try to avoid the need to disturb her - if necessary, get her in a 'safe' place before she actually goes to sleep.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=FranksMum;152029]I totally endorse this! If she's sleeping, leave her. Actually if you have two, it could be that when sub-conscious, she thinks she's being disturbed by the other one. Nothing personal. Bassets are resource protective, be it something, or somewhere. In the pack, they will defend what they see as 'their place' - and actually they need to, in a pack situation.

Is that why I can happily lift one of ours out of the car, in & out of the bath but not off the sofa ?
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

I moved Barkley's crate into our room so he can sleep in there with us, but have his own space. Let's see how tonight goes with sleeping and getting settled in. He did growl at me some a little while ago. We were sitting together on the floor and he was fine. He settled into his bed and I walked by to cover him with his blanket (he loves burrowing way deep under the blanket) and he growled at me. Completely different from how he was 2 minutes prior.

We have our doctor appointment tomorrow and I am going to ask him to give him a good check up while alerting him of this behavior- fingers crossed, it is a guarding thing and he is more possessive with his growing age. My female is a mush and doesn't have any idea what boundaries or personal space are!

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement