Vetting your breeder - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vetting your breeder

Hi all,

I've been researching a lot about finding a pup and it seems like many people have concerns with the larger commercial breeders. I assume this is because they can be puppy mills and breed their girls too often? I found a pup I really like from a smaller breeder who shows her dogs in the UKC, but then I was wondering what constitutes the "backyard breeder" and what the sweet spot is inbetween? This person is involved in rescue, and is really grilling me about the home for the dog, which makes me feel good, and she is willing to drive the dog to me to avoid shipping. Anyway, just wanting to avoid making a mistake and then having people say "Well of course you should have known..."

Thanks,
Robin
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There can be a lot of issues in the selection of a breeder.

First of all, you want a breeder that is knowledgeable about the breed and breeding for the standard. Now, before you say "but I don't want a show dog, I just want a pet", consider the fact that you probably decided on a Basset Hound because of it's appearance and personality. Well these characteristics don't just happen, they need to be selected for. Usually commercial breeders and so-called backyard breeders (pet owners who happen to breed their dogs), have neither the inclination nor the knowledge to select for these things, which is why I so often get pet owners asking my why their Basset doesn't have the long ears, heavy bone, wrinkles etc that they expected like mine do. You also want someone who is knowledgeable about selecting for health and temperament, and who knows how to raise strong, healthy, well-adjusted pups. There can be a wide variety in the amount of time, money and effort that a breeder puts into a litter - you want a breeder who is treating the pups like future champions (remember, all pups in a litter benefit from the care and planning of a good breeder, whether they end up as show dogs or pets). You also want a breeder who is willing to stay involved and answer your questions as the pup grows, so you need one who has the knowledge to answer those questions about growth, training, exercise, nutrition etc...basically you are not just buying the puppy, you are buying the breeder's expertise.

If you are going to a breeder who shows (or field trials), they are more likely to have the knowledge you need, or they will know where to find it. My only reservation about the one you've found is that UKC does not tend to have the depth of quality that AKC does, and while she is obviously caring she may not know as much as she thinks she does. I would suggest checking out the Basset Hound Club of America and seeing if you can find a member breeder in your area, or checking with your local Basset Hound club.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 11-28-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's great you are doing your research.
Have you checked here
Washington
Perhaps it's a different country thing but good breeders want to meet in person perspective owners (especially newbies) to the breed before committing to selling. Also for you - it's good to see all the pups, their Mum and other dogs they have, the environment they've been raised ettc.... Also good breeders know their pups' personalities so they can help you choose one that is best for you. When I found the breeder I liked (and she liked me) we waited around eight months. Well worth the wait
and like Soundtrack said the lifelong support from good breeders is fantastic!

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-28-2012 at 01:41 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you!
I've contacted all the breeders listed in the BHCA in Washington and Oregon both and only heard back from one. She has one pup, but it's a boy and I am looking for a girl (because my mom's boy dog visits and I think they'd get along better if it were a girl).
I wondered about UKC - I'd heard they were more concerned with field trials than show, and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
This particular woman seems very concerned about placing the pup well and I feel like she's asking me all the right questions. And she's sent lots of pictures and described the temperaments of the two pups she has. She sure looks like a basset - nice long ears and rolls, but not so many rolls that she can't walk well. I've seen a few of those and I keep wanting to "roll up the sleeves" for those dogs.
Still, I'm having some of the same concerns you've mentioned- she's too far away for me to really go see the situation, and I'm relying on what I can glean about her breeding from google and from what I've asked her.
It is an awfully sweet little girl, from what I can tell...
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know your excitement about wanting your puppy now. For me choosing Isabel ( my first is a rescue) from a reps. breeder was a mission. I knew the type I wanted - not too exaggerated in body. I wanted them to have a good show background (unfortunately we don't really have working Bassets here - well we do but they don't look like Bassets). I wanted the puppies to be reared in the home and I wanted to visit the home and feel like this is a good place. Meeting Mum (she was crossed out, to a well known dog/affix) and the other dogs - all friendly, healthy, living nicely in their home etc... It's an enjoyable process. I visited a couple breeders before deciding which puppy was for me (and Lula).

Working I meant field trials and such. Unfortunately we don't have that here like you guys do....

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, that's the type I want too - not so exaggerated that they look like it's hard to get around, but enough to look like a basset...
I'm also leery about having a dog shipped, so having a hard time finding a local breeder that sounds like the kind that you've found. It seems that bassets are far more popular in the southeast than here on the west coast (of the US). I don't know why - we have plenty of wide open spaces in Washington state and Oregon for hound dogs, but maybe it's just that it's been a hunting dog and hunting is less popular here? I don't know. But I do know it's a very hard breed to find locally... at least compared to the dogs I've researched in the past.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
UKC does not tend to have the depth of quality that AKC does
one must be careful when using Accronym for Kennel clubs because there are multiple registry so decent some worth less. UKC ie Unite Kennel Club not to be confused by UKC(i) Universal Kennel Club international which will regester anything with four legs.

UkC requires DNA testing and while not that popular within the basset breed they are on a Par with AKC on beagles and if looking for coonhounds a much better bet than akc for finding a good working dog.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just got off the phone with the breeder. The daddy is an AKC stud from Maple Street Bassets, mom is UKC registered, and looks beautiful. Just wanted to share a pic of the potential puppy... I can't make it work to embed it... she seems like a good looking basset to me, but I know I'm new at this...
betty doghouse | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Too cute! How old is she now?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

She's 16 weeks. She was the first puppy chosen, but the family that was going to take her, the breeder decided was not a good fit and wouldn't let her go. I think she might end up being mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement