Pet insurance - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pet insurance

Greetings from Idaho! It's been really cold here since after Thanksgiving but we love this time of the year and the kids are thrilled about being on Santa's good list so I can't complain. 😉

How does pet insurance sound? I am looking into getting one that also covers well vet visits and vaccinations, not just illnesses or accidents. Any recommendations? I barely know anyone with a pet insurance and no one actually gives good reviews so any thoughts or ideas will be helpful!

Also, I just took Emma in for her 8 week visit and she weighs 10 pounds, up about 3 pounds when we got her 2 weeks ago. How much do you think I should be feeding her now? She gets so distracted easily that its hard for her to stay focus on her food. I thought bassets love their food! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My take - if you might be faced with the possibility of having to put your dog down for a treatable injury or illness due to lack of funds, a carefully chosen insurance plan is a good idea.

OTOH, if you are able and have the discipline, I think it's better to "self-insure" by putting money away in a dedicated account in case of a true emergency.

It would seem to me that for routine visits and vaccinations it would be more economical to pay it yourself and eliminate the middle man.

I don't have insurance myself because with 11 dogs the cost of the premiums would quickly exceed the average emergency.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks soundtrack!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

If we had it to do over with Bogie I would have gotten pet insurance. We have had repeated costly vet bills with him. At 10 months totaly tore in half his ACL and had to have surgery repair. At 12 months swallowed a rock which lodged in his intestine and another surgery. At 1 and 1/2 years another swallowed rock that lodged and another surgery. At three years he was attacked by two pitt bulls and emergency vet care for twenty five sutured bite wounds and a broken leg. Last year he developed skin issues and staph infection with multiple vet visits.

Gosh, I know we sound like awful Basset parents with all that has happened to Bogie. We love him to death and he is the greatest , most lovable, and wonderful traveling campanion we have ever had. He just is one of those Bassets that things happen too. He is our second Basset and Bubba only had routine vet visits until we lost him to cancer when he was seven.

Things happen, you'll just have to decide what you can afford.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks bubbaleroy! Given basset pre-existing conditions, I am thinking if I should get one. Emma's only 8 weeks and already climbing up the stairs (new found ability today!) and she's pretty unstoppable! And she is into everything...I know it may be just the puppy phase but you never know. Let me read more about it.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

We're in the UK, so insurance may differ. We got insurance from day one and with all of Benson's ailments it has paid for itself many times over. Even if we had put money aside, it still wouldn't have covered the costs. For our peace of mind, we wouldn't contemplate not getting it.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

We nearly lost Jackson within weeks of adopting him due to a fever that sprang up suddenly. It was heart wrenching to think that we might not be able to get him better just because we couldn't afford the vet bills. Unfortunately, we didn't have insurance at the time. We got right on it afterwards, though!! I like the peace of mind knowing that, if anything unforseen happens, it won't be finances that make the decision.
Austin&Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Having 5 dogs insurance is way to expensive so we try to set money aside every month. Also have care credit with a high limit for an emergency.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Our greyhound, Hannah was clinically identified as having a mast mobile growth. It insured and company has been great with statements handling as she carries on with her chemotherapy therapies. I suggest pet insurance could be helpful.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have 2 basset puppies. Gus is 9 months and Roscoe is 7 months and I have insurance on both. Go pet plan. I chose them because I know several people who have it and have used it with no problems. It is just for injury and illness. But if something happens I will be glad I have it I am sure.

Gus218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement