Resource Guarding - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Resource Guarding

Hello. Its been a while since I've posted here, but I can really use some help. Hickory has been getting progressively worse with resource guarding to the point where he is now biting. It doesn't particularly matter what it is. He'll grab a paper towel and get aggressive. Today we gave him a bone and when i went outside to get him in he attacked me. I would never dream of getting rid of him so I need to figure out how to get over this problem. He is otherwise such a sweet dog. Its like a switch flips when he has something he want. Please help me!
Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

i highly reccomend MINE! - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO RESOURCE GUARDING IN DOGS

for a fair review CLICK HERE
Quote:
Anal retentive to a fault (and I mean that as a compliment in this context), Donaldson does an excellent job of breaking down forms of resource guarding behavior into detailed, progressive increments. In order to teach a dog to accept having its mouth opened, for example, she lists 60 separate steps - beginning with touching the dog's rump for a single second. It takes 27 steps before one even touches the dog's head.
Clearly, this is not a book for someone who wants a quick fix to their problem. It requires a food-motivated dog and an extremely dedicated and talented owner with the patience and perseverance to apply the technique.
Although the book is decorated with oddly cutesy clipart, it appears to be written more for the dog trainer than the owner himself. Donaldson repeatedly refers to the dog's owner as a third party, implying that the owner is not the target audience of the book. Similarly, her writing style maintains a quasi-academic aloofness. This is unfortunate, because a more approachable writing style and tone geared more towards the owner himself would make the book more welcoming for the reader who really would benefit from reading it.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I actually ordered that book last night before I even saw your reply.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
Hello. Its been a while since I've posted here, but I can really use some help. Hickory has been getting progressively worse with resource guarding to the point where he is now biting. It doesn't particularly matter what it is. He'll grab a paper towel and get aggressive. Today we gave him a bone and when i went outside to get him in he attacked me. I would never dream of getting rid of him so I need to figure out how to get over this problem. He is otherwise such a sweet dog. Its like a switch flips when he has something he want. Please help me!
Don't panic - this is where applied psychology comes in. The more you force the issue with the Basset (males especially) the more of a 'thing' it becomes. Always remember the Basset is a pack animal, and in a pack, what's his, be it an object, food, or place, is HIS, to be guarded with his life, with some How you approach this should always be to trade. Offer him something far better than what he's guarding. And actually if he's getting stroppy with bones, just don't give him any!!! Avoidance/prevention is another must, with the Basset.

Not to say you shouldn't try to work on the 'drop' or 'leave' just in case he should get his mouth on something that is actually dangerous to him.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Have the same problem with Barney...can trade him for anything but new fresh bones.he lunges at me if I get too near him..too high value for him to give up for anything so he doesn't get any more....the trade works for everything else and I do it all the time but really don't think it's the answer...am terrified if one of my grandkids tries to take something away without a trade..so far, it hasn't happened but it does worry me....I can take anything and everything away from my beagle and she just looks at me....don't know if all bassets have such a "strong" personality, but Barney certainly does...Looking back, I can see that he needed so much more training than I gave him..I live up in the boondocks and there are no trainers, no pet shops..not much of anything....he's 1 1/2 and am waiting patiently for his mellowness to emerge...
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

CB's been pretty persistent with trying to get at my food lately.

I've let him know SEVERAL times i do NOT like it.
Mostly tho it's just waiting till I leave and checking to see if there's anything left
the hoominz yell NO everytime he goes over there.
of course he acts like it's the first time he's ever heard of not being allowed in my stuff. boys are stoopid
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney'spal View Post
Have the same problem with Barney...can trade him for anything but new fresh bones.he lunges at me if I get too near him..too high value for him to give up for anything so he doesn't get any more....the trade works for everything else and I do it all the time but really don't think it's the answer...am terrified if one of my grandkids tries to take something away without a trade..so far, it hasn't happened but it does worry me....I can take anything and everything away from my beagle and she just looks at me....don't know if all bassets have such a "strong" personality, but Barney certainly does...Looking back, I can see that he needed so much more training than I gave him..I live up in the boondocks and there are no trainers, no pet shops..not much of anything....he's 1 1/2 and am waiting patiently for his mellowness to emerge...
This is probably my biggest concern as well. The trade for me works sometimes, but other times not so much. He will come to take what it is that im trading, but if while hes taking it, he sees me going to take what he shouldn't have, he lunges at it...
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

The trade off does work BUT I can't help but feel that I've trained the greatest thief in the world....why wouldn't he be....I reward him every time he takes something I want back. He's constantly looking for something to steal so that he can get his "reward"....without the treat, there is no way I'm getting it back...he's out the door and racing in my large back yard...it works but seems counter productive but with a food motivated dog, I really don't know what else to try...the "drop it" is the same...without the treat, he'll pick it up and run..if I grab it and don't reward, he won't drop it next time....praise just isn't enough for Barney. I do throw his treats far enough away to grab his "treasure" before he can return...just seems like it's a lose lose situation and he's the winner.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Perhaps instead of waiting for Barney to steal something you should be doing the trading game on a more regular basis, just for normal things he happens to have. This way he gets the satisfaction of playing the game and getting rewarded without having to steal stuff.

BTW - pretty much any basset is constantly looking for any opportunity to steal things. Time to train the humans to put stuff out of reach.......
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Perhaps instead of waiting for Barney to steal something you should be doing the trading game on a more regular basis, just for normal things he happens to have. This way he gets the satisfaction of playing the game and getting rewarded without having to steal stuff.

that is the point most people miss because the way they trade is actually a bribe. You show the dog what you have then the dog decides if that is better than what he has. What you want to do with trading is pratice and train a trade comand you you build up an expection of a good thing coming even if you have nothing to trade. because in an emergengency situation that is often the case. And through such training that works like this dog has a toy/chew whatever trade dog gets what you give him and the his toy /or chew back so Ypou build up a history of when the dog trades it gets both. Now you no longer need to have a better treat than the dog has in order for them to trade etc.

Also keep in mind dog are great discriminator if it is only one family member work with the dog on trading that is the only person the dog will trade with . So you need to encorporate all the family member in the training eventually even strangers if possible.

when it comes to steeling stuff for trade obvious this is a learned behavior but part of the problem is offering to trade for such item If the dog is stealling for a trade that is the only value the itenm has for the trade. if you do not reward the dog they will abandon the item. Just because the dog has something in its mouth it is not suppose to have does not mean you need to take it away from them provided the dog is not in imenant danger by having the item. It is you who decided what you will trade for not the dog.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement