Please Help Us - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

For more on substrate preference and its importance in house training see

Housetraining Your Puppy

Quote:
The behavior behind this training: Dogs develop substrate preferences for eliminating. By substrate, I mean what they feel under their feet. In their first few weeks of life they need their mother to lick them to stimulate elimination. Around 4 weeks of age they begin to control this themselves. It is a self-rewarding behavior because it feels good. They associate this good feeling with the environment they are in at the time. This is about the same time they are walking well enough to go outside. If they are taken outside enough, several times a day, during this period of development (4 through 8 weeks) they will associate the good feeling of relieving themselves with the grass under their feet, the sky above, and all the smells and sounds of the outdoors. The tactile experience, the texture under the feet, becomes the cue.

Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Submissive Urination in Dogs
Quote:
Submissive urination is normal canine communication. Dogs do it to show social appeasement. When a dog submissively urinates, he’s trying to convey that he’s not a threat. Not all dogs submissively urinate. However, some will urinate when they’re exceptionally excited or feeling submissive or intimidated. Dogs who submissively urinate usually do so when greeting people or animals (especially unfamiliar ones), during exciting events, while playing, during physical contact, such as petting, or when scolded or punished. It’s as though they lose bladder control. Some dogs produce dribbles of urine, while others void large puddles
Submissive Urination
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

I remember Annie from LVBR. She is a sweetheart. We have two from LVBR Daisy and Copper. When we first got them we assumed we would have to start over with potty training but turned out not so much as they both were use to a doggie door I guess. As for a substrate preference we planted a small amount of grass and also a small piece of carpet on the patio seems to help. I know there are a few changes going on at LVBR and one of the major people is leaving or has already left so I think they are somewhat disorganized at the moment. Send me a private message and I can provide you with a contact # that should be able to help.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

How about using a crate? It might sound kinda harsh, but I can't tell you how well it worked for Worm. Actually he really likes his crate so we still use it now. but others use it just for the housetraining period, and then discontinue it when the dog has more control. This after my last dog who had a doggie door but also peed all over the house, in every room. crate much preferable to that experience.

the benefit of the crate is that it is a place that you would put Annie any time you could not follow her and see exactly what she is up to. because it will be hard enough when you can-- these bassets w/their short legs, it's sometimes hard to see when they are about to pee or even when they are peeing. those will be the 'golden moments' when you can interrupt her, and show her where she is supposed to pee instead. with Worm, I did that--startled/interrupted him so he stopped peeing. and we went outside together. his bladder was still full so he was happy to go outside. we actually only needed to do this less than a dozen times and then it took.

but anytime we could not watch him-- ie. when cooking, taking a shower, dumping trash outside, etc. we would put him in the crate, and he would usually take a nap.

the crate is a natural place where they will not want to pee.

I don't know if this helps.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you again for rescue...its hard and after 3 years I still have my challenges. I agree on providing a "soft" place for her to pee. She might have been punished for going on places other than grass so now wont. For the shivers, maybe a Thunder Shirt? I haven't used one but I think a couple people on here have? Chime in Thunder shirt users...haha. Keep us posted...the two are lovely.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with rewarding directly after she pees, and praising while she's doing it (if it doesn't distract her) - by the time she comes in the house she no longer associates the treat with peeing, just with coming in. Dogs are very direct and associate a reward or consequence with what they are doing AT THE TIME, not a few minutes (or even several seconds) before.

Management is also crucial, so when she's indoors she needs to be either closely supervised or crated so that she cannot make a mistake. The more she pees in the house, the more the behavior is reinforced (since, as Mikey pointed out, it's a self-rewarding behavior). So if she does pee in the house, take a rolled-up newspaper and start whacking yourself with it and saying "I will watch the dog more closely!".
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree with Soundtrack about the instant rewarding immediately after she has pottied. Bogie travels with us in our RV and he has issues when we get into desert country and no grass. He will hold it. We learned that if we had a cookie and gave it immediately after he pottied he did much better and we didn't keep walking and walking looking for the grass. Now when in those situations we show him the cookie and say "go potty" and he will go. We still carry on the same routine at home where we do have grass, so it will carry over to traveling.

Also we got him as a 10 month old and he was supposed to be house broken. We had to start all over with him after several accidents. We kept him on a leash right by our side if he wasn't in the crate which helped. He was not totaly trust worthy for a year. Just when we thought we had it mastered and allowed freedom another accident. He loved our living room carpet and I read somewhere about feeding them on the offending areas. It worked. After feeding him in the living room where he had gone several times for about two weeks, he never went there to pee again. Good luck and have lots of patience.

Last edited by BubbaLeroy; 11-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If she is used to grass & that's her preferance, how about a small area of artifical grass. It can be washed down when needed but the 'smell' perhaps will encourage her to return to use it.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hello. Where around Vegas are you located? We are in Vegas too and I didn't adopt Max from the rescue but from the pound. If u are nearby we love meeting other basset people to talk about anything and everything basset!

Sorry to hear about Annie's troubles. My Maxie was a rescue and has a couple issues too. He's basically my shadow, won't stop following me and is very sad / howls when I leave.
DumDumDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement