Oh uh Bella thinks she's the pack leader!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post Oh uh Bella thinks she's the pack leader!!

So up until a few weeks ago, I'd of said Bella would be a terrible guard dog, however, as I was at home decorating last week I've realised what a bossy little madam she's starting to be.

She sits on her windowsill and growls at the postman, which initially wasn't a problem, but then I had a chap in to look at some walls I want repairing, and she was awful, she growled at him all the time he was there, hackles up, then my nephew was talking to me through the front window as I was stripping wallpaper and he was working outside and I think if there hadn't been any glass there Bella would of had him by the gonads, she was in a proper guard dog mode. Then that same night my hubby went to put her out for her last nighttime wee and she growled at him. Normally it's myself who has to wake her up off the sofa and I've always carried her to the back door and put her out, I find it the quickest way, himself made her get off the sofa and walk to the back door, and she growled at him. I heard him telling her off and she went outside grumbling but hope this isn't going to be the start of something with her.

She's only ever growled at me once, and she got such a telling off she sulked with me for days. I really lowered my voice and took her into the kitchen when the visitors were there, but I've never had to do it before. I can't understand what would suddenly make her start doing it now. Hubby was only saying the other day what a lovely dog she is, and how she hasn't got a bad bone in her body, hmmm think she's trying to prove him wrong.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Gandy has started growling when someone wakes him up. When awake, he is in the terrible twos. When asleep, he's a grumpy old man.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
She sits on her windowsill and growls at the postman, which initially wasn't a problem
acutual it is where such problems usually start.
Barrier aggression, barking, and a few other things

Reducing Barrier Aggression In Your Kennel

Barrier Frustration and Aggression
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttypigs View Post
So up until a few weeks ago, I'd of said Bella would be a terrible guard dog, however, as I was at home decorating last week I've realised what a bossy little madam she's starting to be.

She sits on her windowsill and growls at the postman, which initially wasn't a problem, but then I had a chap in to look at some walls I want repairing, and she was awful, she growled at him all the time he was there, hackles up, then my nephew was talking to me through the front window as I was stripping wallpaper and he was working outside and I think if there hadn't been any glass there Bella would of had him by the gonads, she was in a proper guard dog mode. Then that same night my hubby went to put her out for her last nighttime wee and she growled at him. Normally it's myself who has to wake her up off the sofa and I've always carried her to the back door and put her out, I find it the quickest way, himself made her get off the sofa and walk to the back door, and she growled at him. I heard him telling her off and she went outside grumbling but hope this isn't going to be the start of something with her.

She's only ever growled at me once, and she got such a telling off she sulked with me for days. I really lowered my voice and took her into the kitchen when the visitors were there, but I've never had to do it before. I can't understand what would suddenly make her start doing it now. Hubby was only saying the other day what a lovely dog she is, and how she hasn't got a bad bone in her body, hmmm think she's trying to prove him wrong.
I'm sorry I'll be no hope, but have just spent the past few weeks doing exactly the same jobs as you. Finally put the heating on after a week off whilst our new plaster dried.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post

Thanks Mikey,

at the minute she just sits and grumbles at him, but I've moved the furniture round so she can't get on the windowsill anymore.

She was outside with me last week when the postie walked by, and she just followed him grumbling, he turned round and said something to her and she ran off with her tail between her legs, but still grumbling.

She's an odd little beastie.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'm sorry I'll be no hope, but have just spent the past few weeks doing exactly the same jobs as you. Finally put the heating on after a week off whilst our new plaster dried.

I've been putting off painting because it's been so damp and wet gloss paint seems to attract Bella's ears, and nose, and last time I painted she had a gloss tiger stripe down her side for ages.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

also you may want to do some more socialization with here especial males since that seams to be an area of perhaps fear with her. have male give her treat or drop them near by will start to change he associations with males
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Edee totally has barrier aggression too that I have started to work on....Mikey T those links are a big help thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can be uniforms too or overhalls,sounds like a fear thing .Have your husband put a leash on her before trying to remove her from anywhere,safer for him.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My dogs love to wake me up to warn me that two men in a loud truck are stealing the garbage every Tuesday. The only time I have ever heard them growl at seeing people. EVERY TUESDAY.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement