Hello! (Intro) - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello! (Intro)

Hi everyone,
I've been thinking about a basset for a long time and I think we're going to get a puppy for Christmas. Merry Christmas to me!

Previously, I'd wanted a pit bull and there are just too many insurance issues, so I started researching another breed that I thought would be a good family dog and from all I can see bassets will do great with my kids (5-11), and will keep me company while they're at school.

I've been researching breeders and have found just 2 in the Seattle area. I'm pretty surprised by that. It seems like other breeds have tons of breeders around here. Maybe they just aren't as popular in my part of the country?

Anyway, I hope to update with puppy pics when I get one. I'm hoping to find a very healthy, little girl. I'm in love with the lemon coloring, but I know I could be swayed...

If anyone knows of a great girl out there, please let me know!

Thanks, Robin
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey!! I'm a noob too! We haven't even collected our first basset puppy yet (12th of December yay!!)

I'm nowhere near America so I really can't help you find one but when we picked our bassey we knew for sure we wanted a lemon one too! But the litter had the most gorgeous little tri colour that was nearly all black bar a bit of white & lemon strategically placed on his wee face! But the breeders decided to keep him So if given the chance we could have been very easily swayed, he had so much character! Also we really wanted a little girl too but are now waiting very impatiently for a little boy basset :P he was just so squishy he had to be ours.

But anyway, good luck on your mission for a Christmassy Bassey! I for one can't wait for pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by CooperB; 11-25-2012 at 06:04 PM.
CooperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi neighbor! I live in Seattle too! The minute you bring your Basset home, she will take over your house and your life. You won't mind though; we don't! lol

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperB View Post
Hey!! I'm a noob too! We haven't even collected our first basset puppy yet (12th of December yay!!)
]
That's my bassets birthday :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Megwepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

My first basset, Jake, was a gift from Santa... BEST GIFT EVER!!!

Jake is a Tri-color (mostly grey these days... he is 13 yo.) Abby was a lemon, and Ellie is a Tri. I think basset babies are like ALL babies. Sweet and loving, don't get fixed on what they "look like" they are all precious and their own "person" with their own personality and character... tho they tend to all be sweet and loving.

As soon as you all get your new babies, you MUST post pictures, we absolutely drool over baby pics here!

Speaking of baby pics, here is my Ellie at 4 1/2 months...

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )

Last edited by Jnfr; 11-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry, tried to resize to much smaller, didn't work!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Aw, thank you for the picture. What a sweetheart! I'm much more concerned about health and personality than color. I'd just never seen lemon before I started looking and I suppose the novelty of it is fun. But yes, I'm totally open to whatever pup I get!
I filled out my "puppy questionaire" for the one local breeder with pups on Saturday night. Practicing patience while I wait for her to get back to me. Not feeling very patient, though!
*waves* at San! Hello, neighbor!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

When we got our first basset I was set on getting a red and white and fell in love with my boy Hubert - a beautiful tri colored. Patients is for sure a virtue when looking for a puppy. Can't stress enough if you are buying from a breeder to do your homework. Hubert's breeder was fantastic and we waited a year and a half for him and he is the perfect dog health wise. Eeyore was an impulse buy my husband got with no back round on the breeder and came with a host of health problems. Of course we love him dearly and wouldn't trade him for anything but it really pays to be cautious.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Waiting for your new baby can be killer!!!!

My Abby was a beautiful lemon (the one totally asleep in my avie, Jake is the slightly more upright one).

Personally, I have only been a basset owner for 13 years... Jake the oldest, then Abby, and now Ellie. Never found one of them that didn't have a stellar personality. Loves everyone and gentle with kids. If you are looking for a "guard dog" forget about it!!! they will let you know when someone shows up... but guarding... not their strong suit!!! Definitely Lovers more than Fighters!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I've given up on guard dog. I just want a buddy.
I hope I've done enough research. I'm willing to pay what I need to in order to get a healthy dog, and the web sites for the two breeders that I've found aren't sending off any alarm bells. They don't seem to mass produce, and have lots of testimonials and health info, so I hope I'm good! My mom got a maltipoo last year that was an impulse buy and the poor little guy has lots of health issues. He has is own cardiologist, in fact, and seizure disorder.
Anyway, hope I've found the right places to buy from!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement