Hello! (Intro) - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Welcome and here is a good book to read while you wait, The Basset Hound Owner's Survival Guide By Diane Morgan
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

There's also the rescue option.
Don't begrudge someone from choosing a reputable breeder to get their first hound--thats what we did. But the two greatest hounds we ever had came from rescues... I have a friend in the northwest thats going to advise me on the best rescue to contact out your way, just as another option... Good luck on your search! These hound change our lives for the better.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Basset Hound Rescue Home Page
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

I started out intending to rescue. When I was planning on a pit bull, I'd only consider rescue, because a lot of the breeders were breeding for traits I didn't want. However, while the shelters are full of pitties and there are many rescue groups, I just can't find a lot of rescue bassets, and I'm pretty good at looking for dogs. The ones I have found are quite old or have health issues. We can't get a special needs dog right now, meaning, I need to at least *hope* that it's healthy. And because I have young children, I also have lots of children in and out of the home (that don't belong to me). So for this particular pet, I want to raise it from puppyhood and just be absolutely sure of it. I know what amazing pets rescues can be (and I have a rescue cat). This just isn't the season for it. When I do rescue, it will probably be pitties and I'm sure I'll end up with several, but I need my kids to be older or out of the house so I can devote the time to training and rehab and all that goes along with that. It actually feels very strange to be looking at breeders, I'm just convinced that it's what I need to do at this stage in my life...
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
My first basset, Jake, was a gift from Santa... BEST GIFT EVER!!!

Jake is a Tri-color (mostly grey these days... he is 13 yo.) Abby was a lemon, and Ellie is a Tri. I think basset babies are like ALL babies. Sweet and loving, don't get fixed on what they "look like" they are all precious and their own "person" with their own personality and character... tho they tend to all be sweet and loving.

As soon as you all get your new babies, you MUST post pictures, we absolutely drool over baby pics here!

Speaking of baby pics, here is my Ellie at 4 1/2 months...

Ellie, you are a beauty -that white line down your face looks like it was drawn by an angel
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Welcome Robin!
Bassets are the best and worth the wait. My first girl was a rescue and the one that got me completely addicted.
Ellie you are a gorgeous girl such a sweet - want to kiss you - face!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Be aware Lemon and white are not common,not exactly rare either,but most that claim they have lemon and white really have red and white. Lemon will be a very light creamish-tan color.Most red and whites look lemon when they are born but the color darkens as they grow.My two girls were the lightest color of straw when born but now at 12 weeks they are red and white. Be sure you are dealing with reputable breeders ,some are members of dog/breed clubs in the area and /or the Basset Hound Club of America. Be careful.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbad View Post
Be aware Lemon and white are not common,not exactly rare either,but most that claim they have lemon and white really have red and white. Lemon will be a very light creamish-tan color.Most red and whites look lemon when they are born but the color darkens as they grow.My two girls were the lightest color of straw when born but now at 12 weeks they are red and white. Be sure you are dealing with reputable breeders ,some are members of dog/breed clubs in the area and /or the Basset Hound Club of America. Be careful.

So true! Our Eeyore was sold to us as a Lemon and looked the part until he was about 4 months old. He slowly got darker and darker until we realized we definitely had a red a white.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you bubbad and Roxy...
I really do primarily want a healthy pup. It's interesting reading about the colors and white it might mean. In pit bulls, blue is a perfectly fine color, for instance, and I've read to stay away from "blue" bassets.
I'm a little nervous now about finding a good breeder! I had a cat once from a shady breeder and I didn't figure it out till later. He was all kinds of trouble for me. He had lots of health problems and wasn't right in the head.
Anyway, I'm still looking and appreciate the advice. Please keep it coming! I've emailed some breeders on the local club listing and emails are bouncing so I assume they are no longer breeding. It seems that the easiest breeders to find aren't always the best ones.
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement