Hello & Grooming! - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Grooming doesn't seem to be a big problem for these guys. My dogs spend the day outside when I'm at work and come in once I'm home so I bathe once a month, but do the ears each week. I don't have to clip their nails, just let their running on concrete file them. He is a cutie! Congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ooooh, another puppy! Welcome, Cooper and family! Can't wait to see more pictures!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow, Cooper is adorable! We have a furminator, and it does do a nice job of getting all that hair. These dogs shed a lot more than you might expect, and their hair is short and straight and tends to stick to furniture and carpets. It's not that fluffy kind of fur that you can just pick off, like some other dogs have.

Molly doesn't really care for the furminator that much, so sometimes we use the Kong Zoom Groom. She tolerates that one a lot better. It does a good job of loosening up the hair, but doesn't really take it off her the way the furminator does.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

What a darling little boy! Post lots of pictures when you get him!

The Furminator is a great tool. I use it both before and after baths. Along with between baths. It really does cut down on the shedding and having to sweep or vacuum.

I would also suggest lots of touching the feet (for nail clipping) using your finger to massage the gums (brushing) and ear fondling for cleaning. Baby wipes are also great!

I don't know about other bassets, but mines nails seem to grow like weeds and thick as can be. I wish my nails would grow like that!

Brushing the teeth is also important. You can try a traditional tooth brush, but they also have "finger" fitted brushes that do the trick. There is also stuff to add to their water to help with tartar (my mom uses that).

My vet sells an ear cleaner that is good, but it is for the "inside". The outside mess that they sop up is what the baby wipes are for!

What a LONG 18-19 days you have ahead of you! Keep checking in, lots of good advice can be found here, plus, we just LOVE to gush over puppy pics!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

There is also stuff to add to their water to help with tartar (my mom uses that).

Toothbrushing was a failure here - What is the water additive called?

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

We brush but have also been using Tropiclean fresh breath made easy. It says oral care water additive, fights periodontal disease without brushing. Reduces plaque and tartar. Can't say yet how well it works as we have only been using for a few weeks. Won it in a basket of things at at Basset Rescue Fundraiser.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm a bit of a sponge right now for anything Basset & with 17 days to go our home is slowly filling up with toys & blankets & many other dog related items! We even weeded the back garden for his arrival! lol well it needed done anyway but it was a great excuse! I'm pretty sure a baby wouldn't get this kind of special treatment in our house :P

The breeder has promised a few pics each week before we collect him so unless I've broke the email part of the Internet refreshing it too much then she hasn't sent any yet ...although it has only been 4 days since I saw him

Thanks again & please keep posting information!! The time is dragging in!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CooperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement