hows toby? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hows toby?

Going thru the photo album and saw the updated pics of eeyore, Hubert and toby so was wondering how toby was getting along...weight gain and dental?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know! With three pups it seems like I am in a constant state of chasing one or cleaning house. Toby is doing really well. I took him to the vets 10 days after I had brought him home and he has gained two pounds. Our Dr. has to keep reminding me that "slow and steady wins the race" because I just want him to fatten up faster! I was home with him for a week and then went back to work and he started having some major separation anxiety issues. He did great in his crate when I was home and my first day back him had clawed at the gate until his paws were raw. We tried just leaving him in our "puppy room" but he destroyed the blinds and started working on the mat we have in there. He can also now jump the gate, which is about waist high. I wouldn't believe it but I saw him do it myself one morning. He also won't eat on the days I have to work. Usually not until I've been home for a while and he sees I am not going anywhere. Which is not great considering we are trying to get him to gain weight. For now I am going to start bringing him to work and we are also starting the Reconcile program. I don't know if anyone has ever tried it but it is an eight week program. There is a dvd we watched and things that we do along with an anxiety medication. I liked it because it wasn't just medicating him. It is a behavior training program. Anyways besides that he is an angel. He stays on my heels all the time. The other dogs don't really pay him much mind, they are still puppies so they play with him when he is willing and then just play with each other the rest of the time. I am still so thankful that we have him. This is just a small hurdle we have to get past. Will try to get more pics of my sweet boy soon.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I was home with him for a week and then went back to work and he started having some major separation anxiety issues. He did great in his crate when I was home and my first day back him had clawed at the gate until his paws were raw.

How old is Toby & how long were you leaving him for? I'm sure you are aware that Bassets hate being left, 4 hours is the max for us & that is only when there is no option otherwise we have friends that come and dog sit.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vectisvagrant

Toby just recently joined his family. You can read more on this thread.

Meet Toby!!

Sorry to hear about the separation anxiety. Sounds like you have a good plan in place for working through it. I'm interested to hear how it goes. Can't wait to see more pics!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
How old is Toby & how long were you leaving him for? I'm sure you are aware that Bassets hate being left, 4 hours is the max for us & that is only when there is no option otherwise we have friends that come and dog sit.
The rescue said Toby was 4 to 5 years old although upon seeing him I believe he may be 6 or 7 at least, though there is no way to tell. I do understand bassets don't like being alone, and I am only gone a few hours a couple days a week. We have three bassets and our other boys do great when we are gone. Toby just has k9 separation anxiety. He is fully crate trained and spends nights in his crate without any issue. Never gets into anything or tears anything up when we are home. He just has anxiety when we leave which is probably to do with the fact that this is the first good home he has had.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like he's very happy to be with his new family.
I hope you work out his SA soon. I'm interested to hear about the Reconcile Program - I've never heard of it. Look forward to pics too
tx
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The rescue said Toby was 4 to 5 years old although upon seeing him I believe he may be 6 or 7 at least, though there is no way to tell. I do understand bassets don't like being alone, and I am only gone a few hours a couple days a week. We have three bassets and our other boys do great when we are gone. Toby just has k9 separation anxiety. He is fully crate trained and spends nights in his crate without any issue. Never gets into anything or tears anything up when we are home. He just has anxiety when we leave which is probably to do with the fact that this is the first good home he has had.

Thank you for your response (as a newbie I should have looked back at threads), well done you & all credit to you, I admire all of you with rescues because you're never quite sure of what your getting. Sorry if I jumped in about leaving Toby but I do get a little mad with people that think Bassets are 'Oh so cute', have no idea of their temperament & then walk out the door. Tried Basset rescue some years ago with no luck but since then (on a small island like the I.O.W) we have been offered 4 free of charge should we take them on. If only my bank balance would allow, hope Toby gets over SA, our eldest never has, starts to bay sometimes when I'm still in the house but out of sight!! Best wishes.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement