More skin issues - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default More skin issues

Margot is having horrible skin problems - not like her usual yeast thing. That's under control. Yesterday I noticed the insides of her legs were red and she was chewing them. I gave her a Malasab bath but did nothing. This morning she has made herself bleed with chewing. I checked these spots and she has very small hard pink bumps but pointy - if that makes sense. Kind of like a hard skin tag. I check her skin often and have never seen these. No idea what they are !??! We're off to the vet.
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck, I hope all goes ok at the vets.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Will you keep us updated? I hope your Basset recovers soon.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

sounds like a staff infection
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
Margot is having horrible skin problems - not like her usual yeast thing. That's under control. Yesterday I noticed the insides of her legs were red and she was chewing them. I gave her a Malasab bath but did nothing. This morning she has made herself bleed with chewing. I checked these spots and she has very small hard pink bumps but pointy - if that makes sense. Kind of like a hard skin tag. I check her skin often and have never seen these. No idea what they are !??! We're off to the vet.
So sorry - these Bassets and their skin issues!! Tip from my vet re using Malaseb - try using it undiluted on the bad areas and letting it sit. Also I have just bought some similar shampoo, off prescription and much cheaper, called DermOpt. I've not used it yet, but bought it, online for just over 7. as opposed to what I was quoted for Malaseb, which I'm almost out of, by my vet. Looking at the reports on DermOpt, it looks all good

I've tended to find Malaseb is quite harsh and after a full bath, leaves the skin quite red looking for some time.

After the summer we've had, and now! small wonder they have these yeasty outbreaks. I'd be interested to read what your vet suggests
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

For sure sounds like staph. Eeyore dealt with this for a long time and then finally his just cleared up on its own. We used Phytovet Ck. Not sure if you can get it in the UK but the active ingredients are Chlorhexidine, Ketoconazole, and Phytosphingosine. It did wonders for him, his looked better every time we used it.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hope she is all better soon xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have no experience with anything like this, just sending good wishes that she's feeling better soon and you find out what it is.

It must be so annoying for her bless her.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.
Vet thinks she's had an allergic reaction to something. The little bumps are skin tags which can be common with chronic malassezia. She's a little bit concerned at how quickly they've come up and that Margs is chewing on them so once her skin calms down we'll have a biopsy. She had a skin scrape and she does have a bacterial infection so she's on rilexine 600. FranksMum I think you're right as the Malaseb seemed to irritate her so vet said to bathe her 4 x week with Coal Tar shampoo. It's so annoying as she's been doing so well for ages.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Tip from years ago, from our super Canadian vet out there. When we had some puppies who developed a staph infection under their chins - he suggested, using a q-tip, dab some Johnsons Baby Shampoo on the affected area

It worked although I make no claims that it will for others
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement