Happy Thanksgiving! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Happy Thanksgiving!

May all our members and their hounds who celebrate Thanksgiving, have a Wonderful Day! And DON'T forget... hound dogs love turkey, stuffing & gravy... pumpkin pie too!

For our members that don't usually celebrate Thanksgiving... think about giving it a try. It is a wonderful day to reflect on all that you are thankful for, spend time with loved ones, gorge yourself with a Turkey dinner and all the fixings and watch (American football).

Oh, and on a personal note... Go Buckeyes... beat the Michigan !!!!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

At Jnfr....we refer to them as "that state up north." Lol! O-H...
Have a safe & Happy Thanksgiving!
bethrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone that celebrates it all over the word that is part of our little group here and for those that dont celebrate I hope you can take a little time out tomorrow and this weekend for a little special time with those that are special to you.

Please keep in mind as much as you would like to share the feast youll be having tomorrow with you four legged children youll be doing them a bigger favor by not giving them any of the scraps.

Quote:
Don't share your leftover Thanksgiving dinner with Fido, pet experts warn, because it can bring significant pet health risks.

Petplan, a company that insures nearly 100,000 dogs and cats across the country, has found that its claims for unexpected food-related illnesses soar over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, a news release notes. Pancreatitis claims increase by 78 percent and gastroenteritis claims rise by 27 percent. And the illnesses can be costly.

The average cost for veterinary care for pancreatitis is $940, and the price tag for gastroenteritis is nearly $400.

While the abundance of food is the most prevalent pet health risk, the Thanksgiving season poses many additional dangers to pets.

To make the holiday a safe and fun time for all members of the family, Petplan offers the following tips on preventing pet health hazards:

No table scraps.

No leftovers, especially bones from the finished feast. Soft bones, like those in poultry, can splinter and cause obstructions in your pet's digestive system.

Be aware of plants that are harmful to pets. Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale) can cause irritation, shock and organ damage if ingested in high amounts; Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata), although less toxic, can cause mild vomiting, diarrhea and possibly depression.

If you want to offer your pet a special treat on Thanksgiving (or any holiday), visit gopetplan.com for pet-friendly recipes
Here's a link for more info
Dog Thanksgiving Tips: Can Dogs Eat Turkey? - The Fun Times Guide to Dogs

Have a happy & safe Thanksgiving!

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it

We've had a lovely roast dinner tonight in your honour!

Houndmomma -

I have been a little bad in that we had some chicken breast left over (no bones just meat) and a few carrots and peas. Bella has had that instead of her usual meal this evening....am I bad mummy or is that ok do you think? I gave it to her before I read your post, she's 5 months.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella's Mum View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it

We've had a lovely roast dinner tonight in your honour!

Houndmomma -

I have been a little bad in that we had some chicken breast left over (no bones just meat) and a few carrots and peas. Bella has had that instead of her usual meal this evening....am I bad mummy or is that ok do you think? I gave it to her before I read your post, she's 5 months.
I would think it would be ok depending on how much you gave since chicken is a leaner meat than turkey and you gave vegies with. But with her being only five months old Id be careful introducing anything.

I know a lot of people on here give all kinds of food to their furbabies, Im just over protective on giving anything because ten years ago I almost lost my old gal Lucy to pancreatitis after she got into some bacon fat. On a Friday night she got into it and that Superbowl Sunday we had to rush her into the emergency vet. She was there for three days and for the first two days they didnt think she was going to make it. I just never want to relive those days again.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

My daughter was out of town so my husband and I went out for Korean food last night, poor dogs, no leftovers lol
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Happy thanksfortheturkey day! (late)
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hope humans and hounds had a great day!
tx
yum pumpkin pie - not here enough imo.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

We didn't offer Gandy any pumpkin pie, so he helped himself. Attachment 3224

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by CatherineM; 04-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Happy Belated Turkey or Tofurkey Day!!

Hope it was good.

Mrs. Houndmomma it's true: it was this time last year that I became Mr. Pukey after eating Roast Pork and cheese fondue. boy it wuz yummy but i paid then price! i threw up multiple times that night over Thanksgiving weekend. then i had the Skinnies and it lasted a month or two, before i got back to being myself again.

I'm not completely banned from peeple food cuz my person can't resist my basset eyes and sad face. I do get to sample very small quantities. but never large amounts of peeples food again. pancreatitis wasn't even on her radar screen when she gave me the Thanksgiving food last year. Thanks for the reminder about that. so glad Lucy pulled thru and how scary, it was just bacon juice and fat that did it.
--Worm
Advertisement