Going Out? - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mine will come find us and start grunting or fidgeting.
Fred,Pickle-n-Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Jake will sit at the back door and stare at it, if I don't notice, he will then scratch (he learned that from Sophie, then taught it to Abby... hoping he will teach it to Ellie.

Ellie (being a pup and in the middle of training) will sit by the back door, and if I don't notice, then she goes on (or really near... front end on business end off) the piddle pad.

We are getting ready to put in a fenced yard, and I would like to do a dog door in the screened door when we are home. I don't want free access out side when I am at work.

BTW, Jake also scratches to come in. If I take to long, he body slams the screen door!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Molly doesn't have very clear signals either. Sometimes she'll come up to me wherever I am and bark at me. I can tell she wants something, but I can't really tell specifically what it is. She does have pretty clear "feed me" signals, so anytime it's not that, I take her out. But I'm really just guessing. And I tend to initiate a potty break at least once or twice a day, just to make sure she's not going to have to hold it very long. I guess for a lot of people, this wouldn't be good enough, but since I am home with her all the time, it works well enough for us.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ellie's signals can be a bit "fuzzy". When she barks, first I assume potty time, second, play, then food. I figure it never hurts to try potty time first!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

When I haven't had dog doors or if there is a closed door between my basset and the dog door I have usually gotten a paw bang. Sometimes a delicate scratch, but usually a big paw slap that sounds like the door is going to cave in.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Bella stands at the door, 30 secs if nobody has opened it, she scratches the door, by then if we don't open it she'll give us about 10 secs then pee on the floor. If it's for a "Number 2" she'll run and find us and give us a big deep "woof", then we know she's really desperate, she hasn't pooped in the house since she was tiny, just wish I could say the same for piddling.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Benson is a barker. But at the moment he tries to make going to toilet a game, by making us chase him to the door. We've only had a couple of accidents recently, but that was linked to his bladder infection more than anything.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttypigs View Post
Bella stands at the door, 30 secs if nobody has opened it, she scratches the door, by then if we don't open it she'll give us about 10 secs then pee on the floor. If it's for a "Number 2" she'll run and find us and give us a big deep "woof", then we know she's really desperate, she hasn't pooped in the house since she was tiny, just wish I could say the same for piddling.

I swear it must the name! Or the Yorkshire air

You could have been describing my Bella, never poops in the house but peeing....forget it if I don't get there quick enough for her majesty!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Lucy will walk to the door and give me a WOOF Mabel will walk to the door and like Flash use to, will paw it till I hear Page and Rickie I have to be clairvoyant

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

If you have no male Bassets, go for the door by all means. HOWEVER, when we had one fitted some years ago in another property, the males refused to use it because of their undercarriage Today, I had to literally boot my two out over the backdoor. Actually that side of the house was sheltered but when they got to the corner of the bungalow, it was turn round and head for home-time. As Frankie was going to the vet, he had to have a walk to get the second BM sorted (he didn't!) but my Whippet hasn't been for a walk at all today - it's blowing a hoolie out there (remains of Sandy come across) so who can blame them for not wanting outside - I'd not want to have to go down the garden for the loo, for sure.

Much as we did have the dog flap for a while and the back door is always open (daytime) in the better weather (I nearly said summer), I don't wait to be asked. I tell them when I know they must need to go
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement