Humping Question...[yes I know it sounds funny!] - Page 4 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #31 (permalink)

Very interesting thread. Or Chihuahua whatever muttly dog will hump or basset sometimes and she completely ignores it. We will look in the back yard and she will be sniffing around whole he is humping away. We had a foster hound not long ago who looooved Cannoli and his advances were gey with violence. She would knock him down so fast! Or dog is excitable and neurotic, so makes sense that his behavior is stress/stimulus related and Cannoli isn't finding it threatening. The foster dog was clearly attracted to her and his behavior was sexual, which she wasn't putting up with, what with her being a lady and all lol
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #32 (permalink)

I meant to contribute to this thread... it seems if all the dogs and all the peeples are ok with it then it might be fine... but wanted to relay this unfortunate story...

around here when we are at doggie parks, the etiquette seems to be for the owner of the humping dog to stop the humping, and actually you will not really see a dog humping another dog unchecked most of the time. Worm is most often the one who gets humped and very rarely the other way around. Most of the time the other owner stops it. The most common reason the other owner won't is because they are chatting w/another dog owner and doesn't see it, and in that case i will stop it.

something to be mindful of is how your own dog reacts to humping and how other dogs you don't know well might react to humping. some dogs will snap and have an aggressive reaction to the dog that tries to hump them.

this has happened twice in our group of dog friends in the past year:
--a 1 yr old Bernese mountain dog, already pretty big by this time, humped a 12 yo Golden retriever, and the retriever bit him hard in the jowls. the Bernese needed stitches and it cost $400. for which the Golden retriever owner refused to pay, "your dog shouldn't have been humping my dog." unfortunately there was a lot of drama there amongst all our pals. we used to be one happy family.... now we're two families due to this incident and taking sides... sad but true.

--a horrible incident happened with my 2 yo pal a Golden doodle. we don't know exactly what happened, but something where he was possibly humping other dogs, we dunno for sure, but it apparently could have been a factor. a very large German shepherd either did not like it or he attacked unprovoked. he went for the neck (this was at a dog park, enclosed baseball diamond, where up to 35-40 dogs play together M-F), clamped down, there was blood everywhere. the owner had one mission, to free my pal, but the German shepherd bit her and unfortunately bit a part of her finger off. they were not able to reattach it and it has been a very painful recovery. the Golden doodle needed 2 1/2 hrs of surgery and is recovering now.

anyway, in my opinion, it is possibly dangerous for dogs to hump other dogs, esp dogs they do not know, as in these types of settings. it is one thing if it is happening in a home or amongst dogs that are well known to each other. it is another when exposed to dogs that are unfamiliar.

at the Field Trial, there were a lot of unneutered dogs there (we are much more used to playing with neutered and spayed animals). Neutered males seem quite, quite mellow and sweet. it was interesting to be in the world of unneutered male bassets-- there was much more aggression and humping going on. when the males humped others, we noticed the owners always stopping the behavior, FWIW. no one went for Worm that day. but standing around the field for 3 hrs gives you ample time to observe the goings-on of the bassets around you lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

Did anything happen to the German Shepherd who bit the person's finger off?
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #34 (permalink)

Worm, our Donut also seems to be a humping target of young, intact dogs at our dog park. Similar to your experience, the owners are usually not focused on their dog. Donut is always trying to get away from these dogs. Sometimes I can get the dog to stop, but there is one yellow lab that totally gets in a zone, and won't stop. He's knocked me over trying to get to Donut.

So, now, when we see that particular lab, we move to another part of the park, or we leave.

It can make a pleasant afternoon at the dog park no fun at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That's interesting, Worm. At the field trials I've been to I haven't seen humping. The closest was a male that was VERY interested in Hermione and was following her all over, to the point of being annoying, and she's young enough not to be real confident about telling them off. As a rule my dogs don't allow other dogs to hump them, especially strangers, nor do they try it themselves, unless someone is in season.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wioleta View Post
Did anything happen to the German Shepherd who bit the person's finger off?
Yikes, well everything happened so fast so the human had to get to the ER quick and the dog had to get to the vet's ER quick. We're not sure where everything's at, except that there are lawyers involved....

Donut, that's a bummer but yeah we'd probably do the same.

Mrs. Soundtrack, yeah that is what we observed. well our field trials are different from east coast ones, so only 2 dogs are working at a time. it's the rest of us sitting around in the 'gallery' when the humping seemed to happen, not when we are walking thru the field.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wworm View Post
Mrs. Soundtrack, yeah that is what we observed. well our field trials are different from east coast ones, so only 2 dogs are working at a time. it's the rest of us sitting around in the 'gallery' when the humping seemed to happen, not when we are walking thru the field.
Yeah, we've been to that kind of trial too, still no humping. Maybe the eastern dogs are more sexually repressed than those on the free-wheeling left coast!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #38 (permalink)

I've watched with a mix of amusement, and actually concern about where this thread has gone.

What was it that used to be said about Americans in the UK during the War "over-sexed and over-here"

Fact is, much as most humping is not sex-based but down to dominance, around my place we simply didn't allow things to get to that level - ever. Yes the unspayed girls would put a fast stop to the boys trying anything like that on (unless in season) but once spayed, they tended not to, which is where I stepped in and stopped all that, before it got stupid I didn't WANT my males getting so worked up that they popped their cork. Call me a spoil sport, but this behaviour isn't necessary and further, often can lead to a full on bust up.

And allowing any male to be a darned nuisance (or bitch for that matter) at events like Field Trials, is just plain irresponsible. IMVHO.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #39 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Even my spayed girls won't allow it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=FranksMum;151404]I've watched with a mix of amusement, and actually concern about where this thread has gone.

What was it that used to be said about Americans in the UK during the War "over-sexed and over-here"

Fact is, much as most humping is not sex-based but down to dominance, around my place we simply didn't allow things to get to that level - ever. Yes the unspayed girls would put a fast stop to the boys trying anything like that on (unless in season) but once spayed, they tended not to, which is where I stepped in and stopped all that, before it got stupid I didn't WANT my males getting so worked up that they popped their cork. Call me a spoil sport, but this behaviour isn't necessary and further, often can lead to a full on bust up.

And allowing any male to be a darned nuisance (or bitch for that matter) at events like Field Trials, is just plain irresponsible. IMVHO.[/

You're not alone, I don't tolerate humping either. Sadly have a neutered boy who has probably ended up smelling female he is charged by dogs & bitches, he used to tolerate it but now will react. Having a large GS on your back whilst biting your neck may be someones idea of a good time but not his! Like you I find it irresponsible & know when owners start to laugh, that we've got problems & it's not worth trying to explain!
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement