Humping Question...[yes I know it sounds funny!] - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

In my experience, humping can be a sign of dominance. My female Cane Corso/Pit mix will hump both male and females when she is showing her dominance during play. She is spayed. Hoss is not neutered yet and tries to hump all of the dogs in his obedience class and he also tries to hump blankets. He does not try to hump Mia, our cane mix. This may be either because she is to big for him to reach, or because she is the dominate one of the two.
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mikey, because, when other dogs 'tell' him that isn't acceptable, he stops humping them.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
when other dogs 'tell' him that isn't acceptable, he stops humping them

which then mean the orginial thesis that the behavior was out of anxiety or stress out the window. So we have a normal behavior that is consential between two dog and does not result in injury to either dog, whats the problem ? it appear my original conclusion theat the behavior upset your sensibilities is correct. Now if you want to keep the two dogs seperated that is your right but admonishing the other dog owner for have different sensibilites is not proper.

Quote:
My female Cane Corso/Pit mix will hump both male and females when she is showing her dominance during play
it is possible however it is not generally the case one would have to see all manners of play and interaction between any two dogs to make that conclusion.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Really
yes a quick search of this site will bring up a number of cases of Priapism in dogs. an none involve humping

Priapism in dogs.

Causes of Excessive Dog Erection
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Mike you're off the mark with this. I must not be able to explain.

If you saw this dog in his humping behavior, it would help, but I'm not going to make a video of it. The dog has a lot of anxiety behaviors, humping is only one of them. Maddie isn't consenting per se; she doesn't acknowledge the other dogs presence at all.

Anyway, problem is solved. We don't take the dogs to each other's homes anymore.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

For years Lucy has cracked me up – if/when I’m sitting on the floor she comes up and jumps on me so she can give me a kiss – then starts to smell my ear – then… starts to hump me – like clockwork every time – I LMAO! Hummmm just had a thought – maybe she does it for the belly rubs she’s going to get when I knock her off

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Eeyore and Toby(so far) have never tried to hump anything but Hubert does all the time. We bought a huge stuffed raccoon when he was little and now we refer to it as "Hubert's hooker" because to loves to hump it. It is the only thing I have ever seen him hump. The funny thing is when I come home I will find it in different rooms and once woke up and it was in the bed with me. He takes it everywhere and makes sure the other dogs don't play with it.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Monty has always humped things. He is neutered now and a grown up boy, and it's really not that bad any more. He will do it for fun, I think, if he gets really excited.
Jenny and him have "humping wars" now. It's not all the time, and no one seems to get really angry, so we just let them sort it out. It's either playing or sorting out the leader, either way, at home I don't really care. I rather they hump each other than me.
Abbie (Abbigail) - Cat 4

Clifford - Cat 7
Sister to:
Norman - Golden Retriever
Niki - Husky
Miracle - Cat

Duke (golden) and Luke (cat) still in my heart.
squirmy_wurmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

I actually found this forum because my 2 year old female basset hound is constantly humping my male border collie/setter in what is definitely an assertion of dominance. He was a sort of rescue dog and is very anxious so I have had to stop this now because she is very rough with him. At first I let it go because I figured it was just a canine dominance thing. I am quite strict with their behaviour as I have a 3yr old son running around but I do think that there are times when you need to let dogs be dogs. I will always allow my dogs to play fight, with me fighting with them most of the time!, but step in when they get too carried away.
I would give it another few gos with them as buddies, it's nice for them to have close companions. I reckon eventually one will dominate the other and the behaviour will die off???
Megwepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRoxy View Post
The funny thing is when I come home I will find it in different rooms and once woke up and it was in the bed with me. He takes it everywhere and makes sure the other dogs don't play with it.
Ha! Hilarious by the way!
Megwepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement