14 year old Bassett Hound - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile 14 year old Bassett Hound

We have a 14 yr old Bassett, born 9/9/98 in good health. Presently we notice that although she hears well, she does realize the direction of sound immediately. Samie does not go thru the night anymore, and let us know between 4 - 5 a.m. she has to go pee. She has gotten very finicky eating in the a.m., is this her age??? Other than that, she's great!
LadySamantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

The pee thing is probably age I'd say...
Lulu stopped eating a lot when she got older but she had cancer so that contributed.
(she liked sweet potato fries for a while tho...)

Sounds like she's just an older hound. You have pictures? I love pics of those grand old dogs. They're so beautiful when they get white faces!

Finally I'd like to say that you are one lucky human to have had so many years with your dog. Our lulu was only 11 when she passed. Never seems to be long enough.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bless her I don't blame her for not going through the night at her age, do you give her two meals a day?
Oh to have mine reach that age, Lady Samantha you're one lucky lady & even luckier are your Mum & Dad!
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

A lot of times I don't last through the night either! Just had a birthday and I feel old. At 14, I would expect some changes in dietary and potty habits, of course a trip to the veterinary wouldn't hurt if the changes are sudden or extreme, like suddenly needing to go outside several times at night, or having very low or suddenly very finicky appetite, etc.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Congratulation to you and your baby you give me hope with my 13 year old hound. She is also losing sight and hearing. Im sure the changes youre seeing are normal for her age but like what has already been said if a change comes on fast or is extreme I would contact my vet. I should add a disclaimer that Ive alone built a wing at our vets new office as I dont hesitate to take mine in if they get a hang nail. I cant help it two or four legged kids Im an over protective mamma. Id also love to see a photo of your old gal cant get enough of them seniors

Your right Esther they dont stay with us long enough do they Flash was also 11 years old when I lost her.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome Lady Samantha and you! Seniors really are special.
Lula (we call her Lady Lu) turned 14 a couple weeks ago. Over the past year I've noticed a change in her hearing and eyesight (especially in bright sunshine).
I'd do the same as San and Jen and take her to the vet just to be sure.
And please some pics of your lovely lady
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would love to see a pic - I have a special spot in my heart for the elderly Bassets. There's something about their quiet dignity as they amble slowly up to me that charms me all the way to my toes.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

No experience with oldies, ours is just a baby, just wanted to say I hope we all get to keep our babies with us as long as you have.

Hope she stays healthy for much longer
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

There is certainly something special about our "seasoned" dogs. Sophie (not a basset) was 14 when I lost her. Her potty habits did change. She used to be the dog that would explode before EVER having an accident. Her appetite also changed (however, she did have cancer in her hind quarter and arthritis) However, basically, up until her last week she was fairly consistent on eating and potty habits.

Jake (basset) is 13. He has zero appetite issues! In fact, according to him we are starving him to death (he has always been this way) However, I have noticed he needs to go out earlier than he used to. He used to "sleep" in. However, now it is (at latest) 6 30 AM when he needs to go out in the morning (makes days off for me fun ) Otherwise, no health issues.

There is nothing more regal than a "seasoned" basset. Please post a picture of her.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was looking at old photos last month and ran across some old photos of Lucy my 13 1/2 year old - and found one right after we got her from Guardian Angel Basset Rescue She started turning white so long ago I forgot how dark her coloring was back then.

The first photo she looks so scared because we went to the Waddle the week after we picked her up from Larry & Emmys house where the Waddle use to be held she was afraid all day we were going to leave her there. We tried again the next year but it was too hard on her so weve not been able to go in years.

The next photo I just took of her amazing how they change so much through the years shes such a strong proud girl with personality busting at the seams.

Id love to see some of your seniors if you can post them

Jen~

Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement