Play vs Fight - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Play vs Fight

This is the first time I am having 2 dogs at the same time so any advice is extremely precious to me!
The first few days when Emma came, Oscar had been very tolerant with her taking over his bed, his toys and even his food. Well, I think he is done!!! He will nip Emma back (especially on her long ears!), pin her down by the neck and so on. Now he will actually initiate the "play" especially when they are outdoors! He will run to her and nip her ears and they make crazy loud growls and yelps and barks. Emma will bark back when she's had enough and he will stop and then start round 2 again. When he's done, she will start nipping again and it goes on and on and on! Most of the time, I have to ask them to chill. Is this normal? Should I even try and stop them? It just gets loud and scary I feel like they need a sabbatical. I can't differentiate between a play and a fight. And how come they can't stop the play themselves? One will relent and the other will start and vice versa...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

they always let us work out our differences on our own
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's completely normal and necessary.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know it's hard to stand by and do nothing but it sounds like right now they are setting the rules. They say that if you don't let them do this, there will be problems down the line....Mine growl, bark, nip, etc....as long as you don't see any blood, I wouldn't worry. They are learning to read the body language of each other...when to back off and when it's safe to play....this is an important step. If one of mine wants to play and the other doesn't, they'll communicate that it's not the right time and they'll back off. This did take time and alot of trial and error...am assuming that what's happening with yours. It's hard to watch but an important part of them getting along in the future....If they are seriously fighting, you won't have any doubts at all...now that's a whole different ball game...
Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

We're going through this with our two as well, after recently introducing a 2nd dog six weeks ago. Most of the time, it's just annoying to me, but occasionally it does seem to grow into a full fight (usually bone ownership related!). No blood so far, so I guess it's all good.

If someone has a tip on introducing a time out command when I'm on a conference call, I would greatly appreciate it!
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I only have one pup, but I do have a neighbour who is also a good friend who has a 7 month old puppy (not a basset), and we have lots of play dates.

Bella totally rules the roost, whether it's in our garden or his! He submits & rolls onto his back when he's had enough and she just sits and looks at him like....that told you!!! Both tails are always going crazy, so I agree I think you'd know if it was a proper fight.

There's lots of growling and barking and nipping as she chases him around the garden non-stop, He's pretty safe because he can run faster than her!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
- Unknown
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
We're going through this with our two as well, after recently introducing a 2nd dog six weeks ago. Most of the time, it's just annoying to me, but occasionally it does seem to grow into a full fight (usually bone ownership related!). No blood so far, so I guess it's all good.

If someone has a tip on introducing a time out command when I'm on a conference call, I would greatly appreciate it!
Fights are hugely different. Iz and Lula have had three fights- always over a spot on the sofa close to their people. It really upsets them. We intervene and they cry and mumble for awhile afterwards. Not because they were physically hurt but the stress of it all. The command STOP! is one of the most useful commands you can teach. Mine know that I really mean business and to sit down and they better pay attention and once I have it they get a very high value treat.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much everyone! It helps knowing that its part and parcel of integrating into a pack. I just don't want it to escalate into a real fight and least of all, having to rehome any of the dogs. It doesn't seem like their play is over anything in particular. Emma just nips him all over as a teething pup and Oscar just couldn't take it anymore. But I did see him trying to hump her a few times and I had to call time out!! What's everyone take on that? I read that it's not sheer dominance, it can be anxious or excited too?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

It sounds completely normal and healthy. Ahhh humping. Personally I don't mind that I think it's just being happy. Mikey posted a video of Buffy and Jean Donaldson humping on cue. My girls only hump their humans in the privacy of their own home so if it's okay with Jean it's fine with us. They enjoy it.
So no its not a dominance thing

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-16-2012 at 03:12 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

LOL...Barney humps Toby just about every night at 5:45pm....must be very time orientated cause it's just about to the minute. They are both neutered and it doesn't last but a minute or two but kinda pitiful to watch...her head, her back, anything he can capture....she just gives him the "evil" look and squirms away...he weighs 50 and she's 25 pounds....gotta be a man thing.
Advertisement