Play vs Fight - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

The best I can offer in all this is don't let this escalate to the point of ear ripping. They bleed like crazy for one thing. Common sense should dictate how far you allow this to go. Within limitations, they have to sort out the pecking order (bitches rule!) but at the end of the day, they must listen to YOU first.

With the not eating - are you feeding them separated at the moment because quite honestly, this may be best so you know that they are both eating what they should be.

Also with this humping - just be careful. This kind of activity can again escalate to the point of a full on fight. Personally I have always stopped all that before it starts to avoid such battles erupting. There is a different approach when you deal with numbers.

Last edited by FranksMum; 11-18-2012 at 09:44 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thank you everyone! It does sound like having them sort things out themselves would be the best way unless it gets out of hand. Emma has officially lost her puppy license..at 7 weeks! Oscar just nips at her ears even if she doesn't annoy him. They literally take turns to provoke each other!

Franks mum, yeah, I feed them separately since Emma takes a while to finish her food. She gets distracted but will come back for it. I just gave Oscar a bigger portion at dinner and he will eat them. Maybe he's okay with one meal a day? We'll see. He's just 1.5 years old.

Another day, Emma's family told me they successfully crate trained both Emma's parents in 2 weeks!! Crate,bathroom, play with supervision, crate again, bathroom ..... Repetition and routine. I wonder if anyone has such quick success to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Not another day, another thing

Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Here's a video of my two girls that are sisters and litter mates - this is shortly after they were brought back together after being a part for a little over a year. There's a lot of posturing going on - some play - some fight and some humping. The humping is not sexual but dominance - and it's only the black one that's doing it.

As you can tell I don’t get involved as this is something they need to work out between themselves – that said – I watch and listen to their tones – and there have been a few times that had I not got involved it would have turned bad. I keep a water bottle around at all times. They’ve been together again for I think about two months and it’s gotten a lot better. Now they’ll play/fight then pass out on top of each other for a quick nap then wake up and go right back to it. They love each other a lot.

I have a 13 year old Basset that I can’t let them alone with because she would and could hurt Page (the black one) It’s taken almost a year for her to not got after Mabel – but even with that said – she’ll still lift her lip at her and not want her too close to her space. Too bad Mabel didn’t get the memo – she’ll walk up to Lucy when she’s out cold and bark right in her face then run away.

I think the most important thing is watching and listing – only you know your hounds and what is “normal” or not.

Jen~

Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime

Last edited by houndmomma; 11-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't know the ages of Emma & Oscar but guess that Emma is a youngster. Have always believed that you shouldn't let pups play with dogs of unequal wight or size it's far too risky, pups can be relentless & Bassets are heavy dogs. Ours are a year apart, yes did allow them to play but was always there & called time out after short periods & caged (in the same room as us) the younger at times to give the older some space. I'm perhaps lucky that only twice in 7 years has it escalated, the younger is severely compromised having suffered growth deformities in his front legs & can be a right little bixxh at times - perhaps to make up for his lack of strength, but fortunately I can call a halt.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Vectisvagrant and hound mama, that's great info indeed. I normally don't let it go too far either cos it just sounds scary and my children are really concerned too. ( they are 5 and 7 years old so it seems terrible to them) and yes, Emma is 7 weeks and Oscar is 1.5 years. So yeah, a year apart too. At this point, it seems like Emma knows when to call a timeout when Oscar can't stop nipping her but tables may turn when she is full grown. Oscar is barely 20 pounds.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Please, please don't let them play together for more than a couple of minets. Remember the five minets of exercise a month rule, basset pups can do irrevocable damage to themselves. Cageing does not mean locking the pup away just removing to somewhere safe, where they can still see & be apart of what's going on. Our eldest for his first 9 months lived alone in a garden shed & has always lacked confidence, he never told his younger cousin off, it's abit like putting an hormonal teenager in charge of a toddler. The pup gently (no shouting, squirty bottles) needs to be given some boundaries, a small treat for good behaviour not a face full of water. Good luck
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Please, please don't let them play together for more than a couple of minets. Remember the five minets of exercise a month rule, basset pups can do irrevocable damage to themselves.
HUH? Where did you get that idea?

Excessive structured exercse (like roadwork) can definitely be detrimental to a young basset, but free play is essential to proper development.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #29 (permalink)

Gotta agree with you Soundtrack...can't imagine not letting the puppy play for more than a few minutes. Seems like you'd be asking for social problems down the line.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

I've just watched that play session - the barking drove my Whippet nuts although my Basset was very interested! They must speak his language eh.

Anyhow, two things there - bearing in mind we have run on two bitches from most of our litters. Firstly at the first sign of mounting like the dark tricolour is doing, I'd have stepped in. She's obviously the dominant one, and once the playing gets to that level, she's reached the point when unless the other one backed down as right now she is, there could have been a full on battle doing on. Could still happen, so be very careful! Secondly I cringed with all the jumping on and off the foot-stool. Fronts! This I'd stop. Nice pair however.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement