Shipping puppies - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a rescue and have never dealt with breeders, but I would definitely suggest getting involved with your local/regional Basset Hound Club too. If you have never had a basset before, being around experienced owners will also help you out. I would imagine they would be welcoming. And I understand the wanting a dog RIGHT NOW feeling, been there myself, but if there isn't a local litter ready until March, just wait. This is a living creature and not rushing is super beneficial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Personally, I have never "shipped" a pup. I like to see the parents (both if possible) and the home they were "raised" in.

With Ellie, I met both of her parents (gave me idea of what size she may be). The pups are raised inside (a home similar to my own) except they have a doggie door with a run. A very neat clean home, socialized with the other pups and the family. I was impressed.

I think seeing where they came from is important.

Just to be "open" I do not look for a dog I can show, I am not interest in that, but I do want a "true" basset. I am not looking to breed. I just want a great pet that I can spoil rotten (which I am apparently very successful at!)

Unless you know the breeder is high value, I would be worried that I was getting a pup from a "puppy mill" situation and I won't even begin to rant about puppy mills.

As for the "Christmas" puppy issue... Jake was a Christmas present for me (best gift ever!) However, he didn't come from a serial breeder, this was someone who had AKC dogs that they wanted to breed on a limited basis.

Jake is one great dog. He is 13 yo now, never had any health issues, still going strong! My biggest beef with him is his nails grow faster than anything I have ever seen and he is such a drama queen I have to pay to have them done (he senses my fear of nipping the quick, and becomes the hound from hell if I try to clip them... everyone else tells me what a good boy he is)

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Putting a dog for a show is not a priority for us. If there will a possibility to do this, why not. I also was reading about tracking, sound as a fun for a basset but Im totally green about that i want to have a "true" basset as u say

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
LOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

depending on where you are there are basset hunt trials (ahba). no rabbits are hurt. very interseting. You get to watch bassets do what they were developed to do. Other areas have AKC field trails for bassets. here in tidewater there is an all breed tracking club (akc). lots to do with your hound.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

I live in nyc so i guess i will find some stuff to do. I cant find any basset hound club near thou.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

I know of a lot of breeders in and around NY,PA,MD etc go to the Basset Hound Club of America website and on the breeder list you will find the states you are interested in checking. Shipping is not a big deal if you are careful about the airline chosen and how you go about it but this time of year most airlines will not ship because of the temperature ,it is too cold.From about the end of June to Sept. most will not ship because it is too hot. I had my Vinny shipped from California to Washington DC, 9 years ago, November 1st , at 11 weeks of age he made it just fine.I didn't see his parents except through photos but I knew she was a reputable breeder so I was not concerned,she showed her dogs,I felt comfortable. If you have never owned one before learn as much as you can about the breed before getting one they are not for everybody. People who sell puppies for Christmas are in it for the money and usually do not have quality puppies,wait till after the holidays to bring in a new puppy it is hard on the puppy and confusing to them and more trouble for you so wait.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm opting to bring a puppy between February and March. In march I will reach big 30 which I'm really sad so she will be my biggest and brightest present.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

The Big 30, my heart bleeds for you... I barely remember thirty!

It doesn't matter the age or the occasion, a basset pup is the BEST gift EVER!!!! My husband gave me Jake for Christmas 13 years ago... he can never top that! Not even with a 1965 candy apple read rag-top stingray corvette (but it would be close!)

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Haha I know 30 is OK but I'm still emotionally attached to my 2 in the front

Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
Actually, good breeders will not be selling their puppies at Christmas, so if they have pups that are ready around that time they will hold on to them until January.
Absolutely agree with this. Buying a puppy isn't like buying a bag of sugar (although with Bassets, there are certain similarities ) The fact is I'd avoid any breeder who is advertising Christmas puppies like the plague. In all but the quietest of homes, this is the worst time to be bringing a puppy home. And further, you do realise that having a puppy into the colder winter months, can have problems when it comes to starting as you mean to go on - getting them outside to do their biz. from day one. Can I suggest that it would be far better to wait until the Spring to get your puppy?

I know it's different over there, but I've never shipped a puppy of under 4 months. And then I flew with that particular puppy which we bred back home in the UK and who went out to a friend of a friend in Switzerland. The other two we imported from the UK into Canada came to us at 5 months, and 7 months, respectively.

If you wait for Spring, perhaps you can make a trip to go see the breeder, her set-up, the mother and so on. And bring your puppy home with you. There surely will be a good breeder close to where you live (via the BHCA)

Add - Don't buy a collar/lead yet - wait. You'll need to measure the neck of your new basset puppy, and they do all differ in size!

Last edited by FranksMum; 11-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement