Tri state area and PA - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Just warning you.The people who advertise on places like that 99% have no idea what they are breeding,there is the occasional decent breeder. the one with the two show girls looked promising but without more info posted who can say ,I refuse to join just to find out who they are. Break the standard down into sections,Head,neck,all the body parts they list and study them individually.Breeders look at a dog differently than the usual pet owner. When I look at my puppies I look at each part of their body that makes them a basset puppy.I watch movement ,look at their bite to be sure their teeth are coming in correctly,look at their head to see if it has that bloodhound look ,the ears,do they wrap around the nose. People looking for a nice pet are not so concerned with much of that and that is fine. The easy thing is to get a pet but it depends if you want more than a lap dog.Some of these things are not so impotant if you want a basset to go to hunting trials with but if you think you do want to show or just want a good healthy,good temperament,quality basset puppy there is more to be considered. there are some tests which should be done to make sure the parents are in good health and will not pass problematic genes on to their puppies,many so called breeders do none of that.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

I will show all your post to my husband bc it was his idea to do show mine thing is more outdoor stuff so maybe trials would be more for me. How long it takes you to knows all that stuff? And by the way, I have one of your puppies on my iPhone wallpaper

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
LOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

If you want to get into trial - you should ask Soundtrack & Mikie - Worm is also just starting out.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Mickey T. and Soundtrack are active in AHBA (American Hunting Basset Assocation). The AHbA websit is www.bassetnet.com. I believe that their season has ended for 2012 in the east. New York and Penn. both have ahba hunt trials. They will post a schedule on their website in Dec or Jan for 2012. I have never competed at a hunt trial, but I have attended one. the release about 5 or 6 dogs in a cast. The dogs are judged on how well they find a rabbit scent trail, open (bark or bay), and follow the trail. There is usually a bench show on Sat. afternoon. Good people, great dogs=lots of fun.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It definitely is fun, and there's no reason why you can't do both show and field (and other activities too) with the same dog.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #26 (permalink)

Sounds like fun i guess next year i will meet some of you and your precious dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for the honor of being on your iphone.You know if you want to only do field trials if you are the one who will do the most with your new friend you could consider a young basset from a rescue,skip the puppy stuff and go right to doing things with him/her after the dog aclimates to your home.Always something to consider. I will be up in NYC on the 30th of November the puppies have a photo shoot coming up,probably won't get to meet you but who knows maybe one time we will. Oh and it took me lots of years to learn what I know up to this point,I wasn't a quick study but experience is the best teacher.What ever you do have fun with your puppy.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Thank you so much! U r really a valuable member in this forum, willing to help the new ones! Good luck in a photo shoot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement