Tri state area and PA - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

The ears should sit right below the eyes when looking at a puppy head on, so it looks like the ears are coming off the neck . Ears coming off the head above the eyes are short and will not gain length as they get older. Considered a High ear and is a fault in showing if you chose to go that route.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Look at the puppies in the breeding and conformation section under NEW photos of Bubbads puppies. You can see where the ears are on each puppy.There are strong muscles attatched to the ears and they can pull the ears up but in repose the ears should look like they are coming off the neck,the difference between a good ear set and a not so good .
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thx! I didn't know that and I bet that will help. Do you have any tips about legs? They r not massive while they r puppies and always look short.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
LOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Firs of all your puppies looks so cute! And now I definitely now what u mean with ears.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Legs are a bit tougher to gage except if you can see the parents .
The parents should be stacked up (feet set in place while standing like a show dog) so you can see the length of leg.That doesn't mean a short legged parent can't throw a long legged puppy into the mix but if the breeder is a reputable one they usually only have maybe one or two bitches they are using for breeding and many times the stud dogs are not on the premises because they are owned by someone else and if they are breeding true to the linage you are not going to get much difference in the way the dogs look. Some new photos of the puppies stacked up will be coming up shortly by my friend ,but go to my gallery photos you will see Esa the puppy's mother and get an idea of what I mean.If I get you confused let me know. These puppies are from an "out cross" mating meaning there are no dogs in the sire's pedigree that are the same in the mother's pedigree,a "line breeding" means there are realated dogs on both sides of the puppy's pedigree,such as (made up names) "Boy George" could be in the mom's side of the pedigree and he could be somewhere in the sire's linage as well and that isn't totally a bad thing,usually a good thing the puppies will be more consistant looking. If you look at names of dogs like the sire and dam they should be names that set them apart and often have the kennel names of the reputable kennels such as my bitches reg name is "South Dixie's Witchy Woman" South Dixie is the kennel name of a person in Florida I know,she does not have a "kennel of dogs" she had a bitch she bred that I got, Esa,(call name) my girl from,Esa was bred to," CH.Stardust Geraldo Von Skauton" . The CH means he is a Champion. My puppies have "Brownstone" as their kennel name ,that is how in pedigrees I will be able to recognize that a dog used for breeding comes from me. On the internet you can find sites about show dogs to learn more and become familiar with names. Hope all this helps.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

My dad was just given a puppy that is supposed to be a basset, I can't decide if she is poorly bred or a basset/beagle mix. The first thing I noticed was the ears look small and high. After reading your info I wonder even more.

Last edited by LuciaB; 11-18-2012 at 02:27 AM.
LuciaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Im not going to lie- its confusing. I always thought the one rule was a puppy will get a name with first letter of their mom name. I guess not true

Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

The puppy photos are up on the Conformation and Breeding site.Houndmomma is a friend of mine she ownes two sisters from my last litter Mabel and Page. Sorry to confuse you but it is a lot to take in possibly re-reading sections will make more sense to you .Anyone breeding dogs can tell you a puppy is show quality I see it on the internet all the time,like Puppy Finder. They list things like if the puppy is AKC registered,Can it be shown-Yes. Champion sired-no (red flag) you are just taking an inexperienced persons word for it. Oh You could show the puppy, any dog not spayed/neutered registered with the AKC(or another registry) can enter a show, pay the entry fee(about $30) take their dog with a bit of training, to stand still , walk on a lead and let a Judge go over it, to a show (can discuss how shows work at some point if you like) walk in the ring with it, but the object of the show is for a Judge to pick a dog to win and if that puppy/dog isn't the quality it should be ,doesn't come close to what the Standard says it should look like,you are not doing yourself any good by trying to show the puppy. Of all the other registries out there CKC,UKC, and AKC are the ones (and some hunting registries) who hold shows for titles or hunting titles on dogs. So it can be complicated till you become use to the terminology and you really need someone to mentor you if you get into showing ,that is what a reputable breeder should do for you .
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ears being small and high can be from a" Pure" line but just like you said poorly bred or mixed.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Its a lot of stuff to learn see. Its also interesting as I'm reading your posts. I was trying to read yesterday all those standards and THATwas confusing
I check daily puppyfinder and its exactly as you say. Puppy has a show potential but in the same time they write champion sired is no.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement