I am thinking of getting a basset hound...advice please! - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
What is the "five minute a month" rule?
some asinine guideline from the uk. The rule varies quite a bit, but basical a puppy is not to recieve more than 5 minutes of exercise a day for every month it is old. but for some that is once a day others twice a day. and still further is the deffinition of exercise. For some it is all manner of play and other it is only forced, exercise ie leash walking.

Exercise in Puppies-Are there rules?
Quote:
As is all too often the case, however, these opinions generally lack solid scientific evidence to support them. Very little is known about the precise risks and benefits of different types and intensities of exercise in growing animals.
One case control observational study [1] surveyed dog owners and found playing with other dogs to be a risk factor for OCD. Another, similar study [2] found chasing balls and sticks was a risk factor for development of hip dysplasia and elbow abnormalities. However, these studies cannot answer the overall question, which is how much and what kinds of exercise pose how great a risk and provide how great a benefit. One study [3] found exercise to be part of the treatment of carpal laxity, another joint abnormality seen in large breed puppies, and there is no question that exercise has many benefits, including reducing the risk of obesity and simply being part of a normal, enjoyable life for a puppy

...The research evidence, then, really does not provide anything like a definitive answer to questions about the effects of exercise in growing puppies. Common sense suggests that forcing a dog to exercise heavily when it does not wish to is not a good idea. Likewise, puppies sometimes have more enthusiasm than sense and can exercise to the point of heat exhaustion, blistered footpads, and other damage that may be less obvious. Therefore, a general principle of avoiding forced or voluntary extreme exercise is reasonable, but specific and absolute statements about what kind of exercise is allowed, what surfaces puppies should or should not exercise on, and so forth is merely opinion not supported by objective data. Such opinions may very well be informed by personal experience, and they may be reliable, but any opinion not founded on objective data must always be taken with a grain of salt and accepted provisionally until such data is available.

Last edited by Mikey T; 11-27-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

some asinine guideline from the uk.

Lol. It is used as a general guideline. I have used it but it's lead walking on the road - to me twice a day. It's an important part of training, city stuff and just being on the lead. Unfortunately peeps think it's better not to do this - that's the problem. The UK BHC recommends even less forced exercise. (We don't have the leash laws you have in N. America) Playing (and with others) running around the house/garden/park is not restricted (within safety)- I think they naturally determine what's enough on their own.

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SAN. View Post
I have 2 new berry coloured sofas coming soon, and am agonizing over what kind of covers to get to protect them! The dog will be easy; the cat is the concern.
leather

...or asbestos
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

My sister has a leather couch and says it's really nice for getting pet hair off of. But her cat scratched it up and so she declawed her. :-(
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

we gotta couple of spots where ozzie's claws have done damage but nothing bad.
She was probably 14 when they got em.

She's 17 now. and MEAN
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #26 (permalink)

I refuse to mutilate my cat by declawing her. No piece of furniture is worth or more valuable than my pets.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SAN. View Post
I refuse to mutilate my cat by declawing her. No piece of furniture is worth or more valuable than my pets.
Yeah, that's how I feel, too. I was pretty upset when she did that.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

re: your question if basset puppies are a lot of work....from something I wrote when ours was a puppy. I called it "7 Reasons to Get a Puppy". This was reason #2

#2 You have entirely too much time on your hands when getting ready for work.

If you think of showering, getting dressed, and eating as separate activities, then you have too much time on your hands and your puppy can help you with that. You will learn to combine these activities: eating while dressing, showering while eating, showering while dressing - it will eventually be all one big blur punctuated by trips outside with your puppy, feeding your puppy, taking your shoes from your puppy - you get the idea.

p.s. all worth it
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to srwafu

I kinda had a Basset thrust upon me (quite literally some days) when I met my partner, she was already 3 years old when I met Frida - but she adapted to me quickly, and she responds to me easily when I give her 'commands' (desperate requests for cooperation). She can be a bit lazy, and a bit stubborn if she really wants something, when she is in a cozy mood she will approach the couch to jump up with us and we can say 'no' and she will return to her bed and lay down, sometimes for 15 minutes, sometimes for 2, and then try again and see if we changed our minds - she will return to her bed everytime we say no, but it can be a bit tiresome sometimes

My partner told me that you cant train Bassets very easily, but I did manage to get her to do one 'trick' and it was fairly easy, to be able to place down a treat on the floor, turn my back (even leave the room) and not have her eat it until I say the release command. I once had her waiting a full 10 minutes, by which time the drool pool on the floor was in danger of flooding the downstairs neighbour, so I had to just let her eat the treat

I must admit that I am now totally in love with Frida, and the breed, they are a breed that some people see as 'difficult', but I like having a dog with a real personality and an independent mind
srwafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #30 (permalink)

I was always in love with bassets. I have been willing to put up with a lot of stuff in order to have one around.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement