Our new hush puppy, Emma! - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

i think the concesus here is around 6-9 months to potty train
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

If it helps Bella is nearly 5 months old, and is pretty much there with potty training. She'll sit at the door and cry when she wants out, and is fine through the night now.

Saying that.... she had a sneaky piddle in the hallway today while I was cooking dinner so I definitely wouldn't say she's perfect yet!

She normally only has an accident if I'm busy with the kids, or doing dinner etc and I don't notice her sat at the door, then it's my fault not hers
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks Esther and Bella's mum for your input! Gulped!! That's quite a long time. Emma's family told me her parents were housebroken in a couple of weeks!! Oh well...we'll see if she picked up the right genes. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Oh My Goodness! She is a doll!
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Emma & Family, Welcome! She is such a cutie-pie!

I have a 4 month old, Ellie. We've had her about 3 weeks. Potty training is going fairly well. Accidents are usually due to my not noticing her sitting by the door. Or the EVIL rain.... Definitely NOT a fan She sleeps thru the night (most nights, and will wake me if she needs out... usually by sitting on my head).

Good luck with the training.... BTW... Genetic testing or not... that looks like a doxie to me!!!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #26 (permalink)

Welcome and good luck with the potty training. Lots of new babies here at the moment, which means lots of new pictures which is great. BTW she is very pretty and Oscar looks very dapper in his jumper.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #27 (permalink)

Olive is 1 year (& 1 month) old. She is great about crying/staring/sitting at the door to let us know she's gotta go. In fact, if we stand up and ask, "You gotta go potty?" she'll do a little growl (which I take to mean "Yes, Mom!"), spin around and run to the door!

It took a long time to get to this point. She had the Golden around until she was about 7 months old and she wasn't totally good. Once I got her out to Germany, she kind of backtracked a little. About 3 months into living here, she finally got the hang of it.

Our schedules are a little weird and her schedule falls victim once in awhile, which we know isn't her fault, it's ours.

As far as us leaving the house goes, she can hold it for a freakishly long time. We try not to leave her alone for more than 5 hours, but we've had times that, due to the military, she's been home for 8-9 hours. As long as we let her out right before we leave, she's good for even that long. We leave her with water, but she seems to know not to drink too much too fast when we're not around. She has been able to hold it while home alone since she was about 8 months. And as long as there aren't paper, tissue, toilet paper or shoes within her reach, she doesn't need to be kenneled. Our house has a door for every room, including kitchen and living room, so it's easy to just give her the foyer and hall area with food, water, bed and toys.

I blabbed a lot, sorry. I hope it's helpful though!

The Slave...err, Mama of
Olive Oyl/Olive Ball/Olive Noodle/Punkin/Diddle/Whinyface

Olive a Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred

Last edited by OliveOyl1919; 11-14-2012 at 05:08 AM.
OliveOyl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #28 (permalink)

She is adorable!
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thank you so much everyone! You are right, jnfr, we think he is a Doxie mix with terrier. We just figured that we wasted money on the genetic test. My husband is a firm believer of the results though because Oscar is a great retriever and loves to swim. John thinks that's the lab in him. Whatever!! He is a wiener dog. Period. Lol

Emma has been doing well in her crate for the 2nd consecutive night..6.5hrs! We stop giving her water after 6pm so I think that's what helps. She is all over Oscar and he is running out of patience! He will nip back but at this point, she seems like the naughty kid on the block!! Oscar is 1.5years.

Olive's mum...thanks for sharing! Emma needs to go potty every 15minutes. We had an accident right around then last night because we wana see if she can push 30minutes or so. Nope! Active playing....15 minutes! Sigh. Guess I just have to patiently wait till she gets at least 2 months before the time gets longer.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Picture perfect moment!Our new hush puppy, Emma!-imageuploadedbypg-free1352954359.172097.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement