Bath time - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bath time

How often do we bath a hound? I've not bathed him yet but he seems so clean and smells nice anyway. I don't want to spoil his lovely coat either. He has bad breath but I remember my mums Labradors always had bad breath as a pup xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Benson had sheborrhea earlier this year and at that point we washed him twice a week or more. Now he seems to be over it we wash him as and when i.e. when we think he's getting too stinky and/or we have visitors, so maybe once a month.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

We've only bathed Bella once (to get rid of the puppy pee smell from her brothers & sisters!) and she's nearly 5 months now. I tend to give her a rub with unscented baby wipes if she's muddy, and she really doesn't smell, she's due a bath for christmas!
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

My dogs are inside/outside dogs, so I tend to bathe once or twice a month.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to srwafu

Frida generally now 'gets it' once a week, or maybe once every 10 days depending on what else is happening at home, I've been telling her since Saturday that 'tonight' is bath night, but I think it will be tomorrow - I saw the post about home baked treats, so maybe I will combine the two, I can bake while she is drying out, then she has a delcious home made post trauma treat! :P
srwafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to srwafu

Oh - Brushing! The last couple of months I've started really brushing her like crazy before her shower, with the furninator, and with a plastic toothy hand brush thing, and it really seems to improve her gloss after shower, and she stays dander free for much longer too!
srwafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Young puppies really don't need baths (unless for some medical reason), I would stick to just wiping him clean if need be. It would be a good idea to brush him with a soft brush to get him used to being groomed - my girls love it! It so varies with bathing - I have one with skin issues so when she flares it's in the tub a few times a week where as Izzy maybe once a year and usually only when she has rolled in something really disgusting and Lula decides when she wants a shower by going in with her Dad on her own volition. She's a funny bean.

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-13-2012 at 01:26 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ah yes I've just been giving him the wet wipes treatment. Especially his smelly ears yuk yuk. Can't believe how smelly they get x

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lula decides when she wants a shower by going in with her Dad on her own volition. She's a funny bean.

That's funny!

Maddie gets a bath about every 2 weeks. Is there a certain brand of baby wipes I should use to wipe her down with? I would like to try that between her scrubbings, as she can get a bit stinky between them.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I kinda play it by ear. Ellie had just gotten a bath when I picked her up and she is still fine. However, wet wipes for getting food crud off the ears... tho not to often, she likes to chew on her own ears, and a soapy wash cloth when it is rainy and they pick up mud on the feet. Jake's last bath was maybe 3 mo ago.... SHHHHHHHHHHH its about time, don't tell him!!!! Actually, he is really good, once he is IN the tub, it is just the challenge of getting him there.

As a side, I put those rubber bath mats in the bottom of the tub so they don't slip and slide, all supplies at my elbow (treats, shampoo, towels) & a shut bathroom door.

Made the grave error ONCE of leaving the bathroom door open, turning my back for just a sec and I had a soapy basset doing the Basset 500 thru the house... it ended with soapy Jake on the couch removing the suds and water on his own. I was not amused.... at the time. Looking back, it was pretty funny

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )

Last edited by Jnfr; 11-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement