Basset and baby - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Basset and baby

My wife and i have been wanting to get a Basset pup for a long time now and have found a pup but have also found out we are having a baby.We would have the pup for around 4months before our baby is due all being equal making our pup abit over six months old. As this will be our first Basset pup although we have researched the breed exstensivly and understand all the aspects to the breed we were interested to see what Basset owners thought of having such a young dog that will not be fully trained with the arrival of our first child
Brian d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Although Bassets make great family pets, I have to say wait. I don't know you of course, and how much you/your wife will be able to cope with, but for the average family, having a new baby is going to be ENOUGH!!! I'd hate to think of a puppy, which he will still be, becoming another statistic - too much to cope with both = puppy gets shoved outside, or rehomed even.

It's great news for you and congratulations, but I'd be wrong to say go ahead, I think. Later on by all means - once your baby is over 5. Might seem a long time but ......

Go see what the adult Basset looks like (good breeders, via the Breed Club). This may well give you more idea about what being owned by a Basset really means
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

With a newborn AND a Basset puppy, you WILL lose your mind. Sleep will not exist.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

The Slave...err, Mama of
Olive Oyl/Olive Ball/Olive Noodle/Punkin/Diddle/Whinyface

Olive a Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred
OliveOyl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with both above statements. And congratulations on your baby. Get the baby a little grown then get your puppy.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yep, I would wait. Your pup will just be entering the most troublesome stage, and a baby is far more work than you think. Most people find they can't manage both a puppy and a baby at the same time.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi. We have had our pup for a week now, we have no children as yet. But our boy joey is hard work, he sleeps on my bed with me and he has me up all hours to get outside for wee wee.
My other half works away during the week as he is in the army so it's just me and joey. For us baby making is on hold until joey is older. I love running about after him it keeps me busy.
I would suggest wait until your baby is a toddler until you get a pup but good luck with whatever you may do xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have to agree with the general opinion My youngest daughter is 7 and even at that age it's hard work sometimes with both of them, believe it or not the puppy needs as much time, care and devotion as your baby will, they really love to be around you a LOT!

Having a baby is a wonderful thing, I just don't want to think of you both being stressed out with a puppy aswell.
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

My brother and his wife got a puppy a couple of months before their baby was born, and they ended up giving the puppy away. She got passed around among a few family members before settling into her permanent home with my brother's wife's sister.

I agree with everyone on here, a puppy and a baby at the same time would be a terrible idea. They are both extremely needy, and you are going to have a hard time taking care of both of them.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Congratulation on the coming (human) baby. Personally, I haven't had any (human) babies, but am full blown in the middle of a puppy. I can't imagine having to look after both (unless you WANT "twins" )

Babies & Puppies are both notorious for not sleeping thru the night, both require constant attention (not only the day to day health/physical/well-being) but the love/cuddling attention.

Unless you two are fortunate and equipped to both tend to their needs 24/7, equal sharing of duties and not left to just one person to always tend to both baby and puppy, I would wait.

Then again (here I go waffling...) If you just found out about baby and got a pup now, it would be about 8-9 months when baby came along, and (hopefully) well on it way to being trained (I'd consider puppy classes) then maybe it would be OK. My folks had a 1 yr old doxie when I came along and Beau guarded me like I was HIS baby. No strangers allowed! My mom was convinced my ankles would be deformed since he constantly laid his head there!

In the end, it is your decision and your call. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck! (and congratulations!)

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Daisy is 10 months old now. She is still a lot of work. I would also suggest to wait.
Daisy031012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement