Puppy breath! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy breath!

We just brought home our first Basset puppy. We're new to the breed but my husband and I have talked about it on and off for a few years and we finally pulled the trigger. I looked for a while and finally decided on this little guy. The owner has two Bassets and happened to have a litter(her first), we paid a small amount that probably covered her expenses with just a little bit left over(less than $50 profit). The parents are nothing 'special', just happy healthy house dogs. He is registered through AKC but we don't have any plans to breed or show.

We hope to learn a lot here! I'm taking him to my vet in for a physical on Wednesday or Thursday. We're already prepared for the inevitable baying howl! Here he is on the way to his new home this morning.

Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh my, so much cuteness in that picture between the child and the puppy!! Congratulations on your new addition. They are lovely, albeit mischievous, puppies but so very worth it (what puppy isn't a little troublemaker sometimes?). Welcome to the world of being owned by a basset hound. You're going to love it!!

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

hey kewl!! YOu're in for a ride!!
enjoy!

btw i drool a ton and my hoominz call me SQUISH! so we got that in common
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

honestly amazed that food is still in the kid's posession
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

awwww!!! so adorable!!!! that will be your kids best friend!! I remember when we went to get my basset hound laid in my lap all the way home! now she never leaves my side! don't know what i'd do with out her!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys, my husband is in LOVE. Other than potty breaks his feet haven't touched the ground since we've been home! I'm guessing he's a Red and White? I didn't notice any black on him. The rest of his littermates were Tri-Color.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good luck with him. Savour the little pink belly before he grows up all too fast!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's 3:26am am I'm wonderfully remembering now how often puppies need to go outside. I let him sleep with me so I could make sure I heard him get up and whine to go out... Yeah, groggily I did NOT jump up immediately and he rewarded me by peeing on me and my shirt.

Did I mention that this is my husband's dog? I didn't?! Oh yeah, his dog. Fun times...

How fast do Bassets learn to potty train? We have Great Danes and they were pretty fast but they have much larger bladders.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

And I wonder why I so LUVVVV Bassets! Look at that face.

Shakes off the broody thing - GET A CRATE. And in fact he's going to travel in your car far safer than being left to the lap of your child - I agree about the food still being in her hands!!! This may, like with us, mean you have to get a new car (we had an MG Midget when we first got our first Basset!) You'll also really need a crate for when you can't supervise what he's getting into. Not to keep him in for longer than 2 hours during the daytime. Overnight if you get him used to sleeping in there, you can bring it into your room alongside your bed, so you can sleep in your bed!! Yes, he'll cry because Bassets hate being alone (you mention your have Danes but given the size difference right now, he can't be with them). Get him into a strict schedule, food, and toileting. Outside every hour during the day, other than if he happens to be sleeping - in which case, as soon as he wakes up, and probably just the once during the night - if you go to bed around 11 pm, you'll need to take him out by around 3 am. And probably get up by 7 am!!

You do know about this breed and Bloat? If you have Danes, you'll know all about that one. Feed adults twice a day, and no exercise for 2 hours after feeding, and no feeding for an houir after exercise.

Also the very specific care that must be taken with Basset puppies early days - no stairs, especially coming down, and no jumping off furniture. Limited walks once his vaccination is done - taking it very carefully through the first 6 months after which again carefully building up the muscles until he's a year old. Lots to go wrong with the Basset early days because of his massive bone.

Get hold of some of the books available on the breed. And enjoy!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to srwafu

the cuteness overload of that picture almost made me pass out - wonderful!
srwafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement