Looking to buy a Winter coat/jacket and sweater for Basset please! - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Soundtrack- What would you say are the appropriate times to put a coat on your dog? We haven't bought Jackson one yet, but I think he does need one for when it is really, truly cold out there.
Austin&Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
I bought my last boy Spencer a coat from this site:

Howlin' Hounds Home Page

You provide the dog's measurements & the coat is custom-made. The coat fit him well & I was happy with the quality of it.

You can see a picture of Spencer wearing his coat on the site. Click on "Happy Customers" & scroll a little less than 1/2 way down. He's "Spencer of OH"
Awww, how cute! i just saw the pictures and Spencer. He looks quite cozy in his.

Well from this website, it looks like a lot of basset hounds and other hounds are wearing clothes lol. I recognize Sherman of CA and think we've seen him before in that outfit.

It depends how you define normal circumstances too. and I think it just depends on the dog(s) and it depends on the owner. We have the same problem as Austin. even under normal circumstances, ie. after a bath in winter, he is shivering. or during an early morning car ride, he is shivering. i suppose some owners would just let them shiver. but it's obvious to me that he is trying to get warm, and he looks uncomfortable shivering.

the other things about Worm is that even though he is young, he did not come from good breeding. he came to me with pneumonia, so initially it was important to keep him warm and not have him shivering and cold, per dr.'s orders. he's also fairly low body weight and a smaller basset. he does not have much body fat on him. his usual vet, and we also saw an ortho vet this weekend for an agility eval-- both like his weight. I did ask them directly if I should put more weight on him, and both said no.

i think regions are also difficult to compare. we are pretty warm here in California. but see the website above and you will see a number of California dogs wearing their gear. perhaps it's also cultural, as warmth isn't the only reason clothes get put on a dog.

it's not unusual here to see dogs, even large ones, like labs and goldens, wearing something. we also don't turn on our heat as much as the east coast does, is what I noticed when i lived there. so for example this weekend it was 45 degrees inside and we had not turned on the heat yet this season. it was fine for the people (we are wearing our jackets), but Worm was shivering on the couch. even without a bath. also, i don't think Worm wears clothes often enough to affect the growth of his coat. we are talking maybe 1-3 hrs/week of wearing something, the rest of the time he is nekkid.

when we were in NYC earlier this year, we came across this store, and they sell their merchandise online. Worm got an orange rain slicker from there:
Canine Styles | Dog Store New York | Dog Coat, Dog Sweater, Dog Accessories | Canine Styles Canine Styles

their stuff is pretty nice and pricey, but seemed to be high quality. It's not custom fit, but they do have a large range of sizes, and large range of large sizes. they show you how to measure on their site. this one fits Worm pretty well. i do like Amy's site because it's custom fit, that seems like a nice way to go with a basset.

hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yogi shivers and has always been like that since he was a puppy. If I bathe him and it's cool out, I have to wrap him up in blankets in the house so that he stays warm. I try not to bathe him in the winter at all but sometimes I have to if his skin is acting up.
He does have a winter coat, just got him a new one the other day. I only put it on him when it drops into the twenties and teens for walks.
I have no idea why he seems to get colder than some of the other hounds on here but I see no reason why he shouldn't have a coat if needed. I guess the hounds are like people, some like it hot and some like it cold!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a question...does the winter coat thicken if the majority of time is spent inside where the climate is controlled?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin&Jackson View Post
So what if the dog is shivering? Jackson is a rescue, and his breeding is questionable. His coat seems quite sparse, (finally starting to thicken up now) and while he's ok if he's running, as soon as he stops he starts shivering from the cold. This applies if we're going at a normal "walking" pace as well. Keep in mind, with the beagle in him, he's only about 25 lbs as well, and quite trim. We didn't coat Austin last winter b/c his coat was nice and thick and he was fine in all but the coldest weather.
Well his natural coat certainly won't grow any, if he's 'rugged-up'!!

My comments about no coats for the Basset obviously relate to the breed as a whole. They should have a weather-proof coat, naturally. Obviously there may well be some conditions (eg thyroidism and old age) where a coat might be needed.

We sold a puppy whose owners took him up to Hudsons Bay where they taught for several years. He grew a much thicker coat on his tummy, and feet (Hobbit!!) to counter the cold up there. But he wore no external coat, and survived.

I just don't hold with all this dressing up that some people feel is necessary - for this Breed.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Maddie is inside most of the time, she's seldom worn a coat, and her natural coat does not get noticably thicker in the winter, nor does she shed more in summer, it's the same year round.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

I notice a change in mine especially on their bellies. Lula as she's got older gets quite a thick winter coat especially around her neck - like a ruff. I wish Izzy would grow more hair on her belly as she does get a bit chilly on the really cold snaps we've been having here the past few years. Also she's my velcro girl and doesn't run around as much as the others on their walks. Sometimes I'll tie a little scarf around her hips.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Well his natural coat certainly won't grow any, if he's 'rugged-up'!!

My comments about no coats for the Basset obviously relate to the breed as a whole. They should have a weather-proof coat, naturally. Obviously there may well be some conditions (eg thyroidism and old age) where a coat might be needed.

We sold a puppy whose owners took him up to Hudsons Bay where they taught for several years. He grew a much thicker coat on his tummy, and feet (Hobbit!!) to counter the cold up there. But he wore no external coat, and survived.

I just don't hold with all this dressing up that some people feel is necessary - for this Breed.
And I don't feel that dressing for the simple sake of dressing is a great idea either, but I know my dog, and I know when he's uncomfortable. We have bought him a coat, but we don't intend to use it unless it's really really cold out and he's needing to go for more than a walk around the block. Our dogs aren't all fortunate enough to have such excellent breeding, and living inside a warm house, I doubt that his coat would thicken up substantially. Unlike Hudson Bay, where I understand that it gets cold, and STAYS cold, I live in a part of the country where the temperature can be in the -40s one week and a week later can be close to freezing. And the wind here bites through even the warmest human jacket, so I would be surprised if his little fur coat could keep that out. I would hate for him to get sick because I kept him out in the cold too long without some way to help him stay warm. I think that sometimes we generalize too much without looking at the individual circumstances.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

-

Hopefully that works. That's the coat we got Jackson- it seemed to fit his funny confirmation well.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Bella has a bright pink winter outdoor coat, but it's mainly for when it's raining, as she doesn't like getting wet, but then neither do I but I still take her every morning whatever the weather. If it's just cold she goes naked, even though she does feel the cold, I'm a bit of a believer that if they're not exposed to the cold their winter coats won't come in, i reckon Bella's winter fur coat is on it's way, she's not shedding at all at the minute, she's keeping hold of every bit of hair she can.

I got the dirtiest look today from her when I turned the fire off, and she wouldn't move away from the warm spot, she's a definate snuggle bunny when it comes to heat.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement