Hi all. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi all.

I just brought my little boy joey home yesterday, he's 8 months old and he is my first ever basset.
I was wondering if you could help me on a couple things!!!

Although he sleeps a hell of a lot, when he wakes up and I am not in his sight ie upstairs... He starts howling really loud. At first I would run back to him but today I'm starting to try ignore it more.
I'm a little worried when I have to leave him on his own in the house he will not settle!!!

The other thing was he was a little shakey this evening while he was dosing off. Should I be worried or is it maybe the new environment !!!

Any tips or advise would be great.

Thank you xxx
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

8 weeks old, not months. Sorry
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't have any advice but wanted to say welcome. What's his name and where are the pictures?
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

did someone say pictures?

8wks
just a kid. probably freaked at no mama and sibs

do you have a crate? Job #1
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum....and yes, where are the pictures????? Barney sometimes shakes/trembles alittle when he is just falling asleep...He's done this since I got him as a pup...He'll be two next March. It's almost like his muscles are relaxing...Bad me but I always forget to mention this when he goes to the vet. He's not scheduled to go again until next April so if you talk to your vet about it please let me know what it is. As far as the howling when you're not there....since he just woke up, chances are that he has to go out...they are so people obsessive though that you do need to ignore him at times so he gets used to it....and yes, where are the pictutres?????
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok thank you, ah yes I do need to upload some pics. I've just joined the site and my computer skills are rubbish so bare with me xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello & welcome to you and your gorgeous little man

Bella is only 4 months old, and she shivers when she's going to sleep but not all the time. Mostly I think when I'm not cuddling her...might be a guilt trip!

She is very needy... When we're home she likes to know where we are all the time, even if I go to the toilet she sits outside and waits for me!

I've found with potty training, if you play with him, as soon as you stop take him out, if he wakes up...take him out, even if he's not doing much take him out often! Then lots and lots of fuss and a treat if he 'goes' outside. It's working for us so good luck & we need pictures!
Bella's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yay a new basset baby! I have a 5 year old and she shakes in her sleep every once in a while, but I also think its just her nerves relaxing. Her feet flex too, especially when she's been out for a while....I think she's dreaming of running. haha. I found adding a picture album is way easier than adding photos to the thread.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

You have the equivelent of a human infant so to speak . Bassets are people dogs and being that he has just left his mom and siblings you are what he depends on.Yes he is going to be afraid when you are not in his sight,he will only feel comfort when you are with him ,for a while anyway. Eventually he will get use to you needing to do other things but right now you are what will help him ajust to his new environment.Give him lots of affection,holding him while sitting on the floor ,anytime you can , I hold all my babies from birth on, taking turns for as many as are in the litter.It makes them want to be with people ,it makes everything else not so scary to them,gives them confidence they need to have to ajust to things quickly.My nine week old puppies (only 3) will blend in quickly to their new homes because I have spent this time with them. Not all breeders do this ,but you can help him. You need to be in his sight and he in yours at all times,if he does something bad do not yell you will scare him then he will not want to come to you,re-direct him to something else ,toy etc. Take him out often to get him going in the right direction for housetraining,accidents will happen ,do not react when they do, unless you catch him doing it,say NO then pick him up and take him out to where you want him to go.Do not let him see you clean it up.Remember affection ,affection,affection,tell him he is a good boy when you give affection.Have other people to your home to play with him,make it quiet play, not barking or over the top playing, stay calm and he will stay calm.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471180.450251.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement