Hi all. - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Welcome. A crate is a good idea. It will be his safe comfy spot. Never put him in his crate when he is bad .. like for a time out. Put something of yours that has your scent on it that you no longer use. This is very comforting to them. Also, when he does his business where he should praise him and give him a high value treat like dehydrated liver....yummy.
deweysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ok yes I will defiantly put something of mine in his bed for him. It breaks my heart when I have to nip out and he howls, he is starting to chew on my arm really hard. Really hurts when he nips, he has loads of toys to chew on but he opts for my arms or feet!!!!
Thanks for all the nice comments xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa and joey View Post
Hey franks mum.
He came from helston in Cornwall so you may well know where he was from.
I'm afraid I don't know of a breeder in Helston but there are many new people into Bassets, since I stopped being out there! When I look at pictures of faces around the ring these days, I hardly recognise anybody!! I may know the bloodlines behind your boy however.

Sounds all good, especially that these people have warned you about the perils of puppy Bassets and stairs and jumping - especially off - furniture etc. It might seem frustrating early days, but believe me, it's worth it in the long run.

There are some very good books on the breed, especially a little book which you may still find called The Basset Hound (how original) by Fitch Daglish and published (years ago) by Foyles. It's a great beginners book, although again, not quite as up to date in some areas (feed) as it might be,

On the food subject, I hope your breeder has given you a diet sheet and a small supply of the food (or even just the name) he's used to eating. If there's one thing that some Bassets do have a weakness with, it's the digestive system. Switching can cause problems. And keep off a high-protein diet. My most recent buy in was reared on a popular brand with a 32% protein level which is way too high for the breed, and encourages too much growth, too fast. He was in trouble from the moment he came to us at 4 months. And eventually suffered with premature closure of the growth plates - ulna both sides. This is something many Bassets can develop, but it can be avoided or helped not to develop, by keeping the protein to a sensible level. Not more than 26% in my books. I'd hoped to show him, but he's left with too much turn out in front. Sad because he's a lovely boy.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ooooooooh, another puppy! So adorable!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement